Location: Los Angeles
Monzo is a bank that lives on your phone. Our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need. Our net promoter score of +80 is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK.
Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship things every day, and develop products iteratively. We work in interdisciplinary product squads, and design plays a big part in driving our product vision. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and is encouraged to do the best work of their lives.
We’re planning to launch in the US in the next few months, and we’re looking for a seasoned and empathetic problem-solver, with tons of experience in digital product design, to join our team and help us deliver the best product in the US. We have big ambitions in the US and the team will grow quickly, but as the first US-based designer you will be joining at a formative and exciting time. This is a rare opportunity to shape the product and our launch, and you need to be comfortable wearing many hats and collaborating across many disciplines.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for our customers, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances. We don't expect you to line-manage designers but in time you'll be an ally and mentor to other product designers who will learn from your direction and experiences.
We currently use Sketch for all our UI work, Adobe After Effects for animations and Adobe Illustrator for, well, illustrations. The rest of the stack are the usual suspects: Marvel and Principle for prototyping and GitHub for storage and version control. We’re quick to adopt better tools and processes, so you’ll be more than welcome to contribute all the good practices you’ve used before.
You should apply if:
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and well-reasoned tradeoffs.
- You love making beautiful visuals but it’s not what drives you. What drives you is delivering great experiences and solving customer problems.
- You have empathy for customer needs, but can also consider technical constraints and business goals.
- You’re excited about scaling products and want to help us reach one billion users.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our users in mind (not just the ones that look like our team).
- You can show us a portfolio with detailed examples of beautiful interaction design.
- Sketch is your tool of choice. If you are good at After Effects or any other motion design tool we’ll love you even more.
- You are flexible; you’ll be one of the earliest members of our US team and you’ll be designing lots of fun things.
To be eligible for this role, you need to have permission to work in the United States.