We’re looking for a seasoned and empathetic problem-solver, with tons of experience in digital product design, to help us deliver the best banking experience possible.
We’re building a bank for and with our users. A product that’s fair, transparent and a pleasure to use. We see ourselves as something more than a typical current account: we’re setting out to solve all the problems that exist around your financial life in a coherent, meaningful and delightful way.
You’ll be working on a product that is a part of day to day life for more than a million people already, and your work here will shape the way that people interact with their finances. We don't expect you to line-manage designers but you'll be an ally and mentor to other product designers who will learn from your direction and experiences.
This post by Zander gives a good idea of how any given week at Monzo looks for a product designer. You might be designing new iterations for the iPhone and Android apps. Or helping to improve growth and virality. Maybe you'll be embedded in marketing to take care of our web. Or you might create new lending features to help our users borrow money with total clarity and control. Or taking our savings and investments strategy to the next level. What about working in our internal product (designed and built in-house) that fuels all our internal operations? We have so much stuff to do. Really.
We use Sketch for all our UI work, Adobe After Effects for animations and Adobe Illustrator for, well, illustrations. The rest of the stack are the usual suspects: Marvel and Principle for prototyping and GitHub for storage and version control. We’re quick to adopt better tools and processes, so you’ll be more than welcome to contribute all the good practices you’ve used before.
You should apply if:
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You understand that good design is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs. You make well-reasoned design decisions.
- You love making beautiful visuals but it’s not what drives you. What drives you is delivering great experiences and solving problems.
- You have empathy for customer needs, but can also consider technical constraints and business goals.
- You’re excited about scaling products and want to help us reach one billion users.
- You’re passionate about inclusive design and accessibility, and you’ll design with all our users in mind (not just the ones that look like our team).
- You can show us a portfolio with detailed examples of beautiful interaction design.
- Sketch is your tool of choice. If you are good at AE or any other motion design tool we’ll love you even more.
- You are flexible; we’re a young startup and you’ll be designing lots of fun things.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll facilitate this wherever we can - whether to help you meet other commitments or to help you strike a great work-life balance. We’re keen to ensure we’re designing a bank that works for everyone, so we particularly encourage applications from different underrepresented demographics.