At Monzo we’re aiming to build the best current account in the world. We are always keen to hear from capable, creative engineers who want to help us accomplish that goal. As we build and scale our platform we would like to hear from people who have experience and a passion for these types of challenges!
As a backend engineer in the Platform team, you’ll get to work across a wide range of systems and environments. As a team, we’re responsible for designing, building, and operating our physical data centres, all of our networking, the services we consume from AWS, and the software we run on top like Kubernetes, Cassandra, Prometheus, and Kafka. We're investing a lot of up-front effort in building scalable, secure, and resilient systems, capable of supporting Monzo’s continued growth.
Engineers at Monzo have a variety of different backgrounds
We have several non-graduates; only some of us studied Computer Science; one of the team has a degree in Marketing; some of us have worked in huge companies; some have only ever worked in startups; others are former consultants. As long as you enjoy learning new things, we’d love to talk to you.
We encourage an open and transparent working environment
You can get involved in any aspect of the business you are interested in and, following Stripe’s example, all emails in the company are visible in an email archive. We regularly run hackathons in which people build things on our third party API and we contribute to open source software as much as possible. We’ve also made our product roadmap public and give sneak peeks of features in our community forum. Our blog is a good place to learn even more about what we do!
At Monzo you will get to work with a lot of exciting new technology.
We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- AWS for most of our infrastructure
- Kubernetes to schedule and run our services (Oliver, our Head of Engineering, gave a great talk at KubeCon on how we use these technologies)
- Prometheus to monitor everything! (see How we Monitor Monzo)
- EnvoyProxy for RTP
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Go to write our application code (there’s an excellent interactive Go tutorial here)
- We also have two physical datacenter sites with actual cables to connect to various third parties
You should apply if:
- the work we’re doing sounds exciting!
- you’re passionate about yaml
- you’re familiar with some of our Platform technologies, or specialise in just one part
- you want to help build, scale and operate a platform to support a product that you (and everyone you know) use every day
- you’re keen to learn more about new technologies and the arcane inner workings of the financial industry
- you’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity
- you’re interested in distributed systems and writing resilient software
We can help you relocate to London, we can sponsor visas, and we're open to distributed working (as long as you can spend around 20% of your time in London).
We have payroll set up in five countries: the UK, Ireland, France, Poland and Spain. Right now, we can only hire people who work from those countries and we’ll keep this updated with new ones as we expand and are able to hire from more places 🌎
We offer competitive salaries based on skills and experience, which could be anywhere between £40,000 - £100,000 per year.
We care deeply about inclusive working practices and diverse teams. If you’d prefer to work part-time or as a job-share, we’ll try our best to make this happen. Just let us know in your application so we can plan for it.
We're usually always hiring for Platform Engineers, so there's no closing date for this job.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a coding task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions. We might design a system together on a whiteboard, the same way we often work together, but we won’t make you write code on one
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers)