We're looking for a Data Platform Engineering Lead excited to help build the best bank account in the world. You'll have the opportunity to build and improve a world class data platform to shape the future of what’s possible with our data.
At Monzo, we're building a bank that is fair, transparent and a delight to use. We’re growing extremely fast and have over 3.5 million customers in the UK, with over 250,000 new people joining every month. We’ve built a product that people love and more than 80% of our growth comes from word of mouth and referrals.
Our Data team's mission is to
Enable Monzo to Make Better Decisions, Faster
At the core of this mission sits our data platform. We're great believers in powerful, real-time analytics and empowerment of the wider business. Every engineer at Monzo is responsible for collection of relevant analytics events from their microservices. All our data lives in one place and is super easy to use. 90% of day-to-day data-driven decisions are covered by self-serve analytics through Looker which gives data scientists the head space to focus on more impactful business questions and analyses.
You’ll spend your time:
- Growing and developing a discipline of exceptional data engineers and working together with the platform engineering team and machine learning engineers
- Making technical design decisions in collaboration with other teams
- Prioritising data engineering team’s work; the best ideas can come from anywhere in the company and your responsibility will be to ensure that we work on the ideas that have the biggest impact on our mission
- Delivering the next iteration of our data platform, e.g. how we collect data reliably and enable everyone to use it easily; how we discover what data we have; how we introduce a truly interactive analytics database; or how we make sure that we put security and data protection at the core of how we work in data
Our technology stack:
At Monzo you will get to work with a lot of exciting new technology. We rely heavily on the following tools and technologies:
- Go to write our application code
- Python for data science
- Cassandra for most persistent data storage
- Bigquery for events storage and analytics queries
- Kafka for our asynchronous message queue
- Kubernetes and Docker to schedule and run our services
- AWS for most of our backend infrastructure
- Google Cloud Platform for all of our analytics infrastructure
- Looker for analytics data visualisations and dashboards
You should apply if:
- What we’re doing here at Monzo excites you!
- You are keen to lead a team and further develop our data capabilities to bring us closer to our mission
- You've a deep understanding of distributed systems and streaming data architectures
- You understand how to architect solutions for data science such as deploying, serving and monitoring of machine learning models
- You’re keen to learn more about new technologies
- You’re comfortable working in a team that deals with ambiguity every day
- You've some experience with strongly-typed languages (e.g. Go, Java, C, Scala…)
We can help you relocate to London & we can sponsor visas.
Our interview process is normally a phone interview, a take home task and call to discuss it, and 2-3 hours of onsite interviews. We promise not to ask you any brain teasers or trick questions.
Diversity and inclusion is a priority for us – if we want to solve problems for people around the world, our team has to represent our customers. So we need to attract the best talent and create an environment that supports and includes them. You can read more about diversity and inclusion on our blog.
If you prefer to work part-time, from home or as a job-share, we'll make this happen whenever we can - whether this is to help you meet other commitments or strike a great work-life balance.
Questions about this role? Head over to our careers page to read our FAQs (www.monzo.com/careers)