As an early mover planning to offer key in-space transportation and infrastructure services, Momentus is at the forefront of the commercialization of space. With an experienced team of aerospace, propulsion, and robotics engineers, Momentus has developed a cost-effective and energy-efficient in-space transport system based on plasma water propulsion technology.
Daring problems require daring solutions. We boldly charge into uncharted territory knowing that no matter the outcome we will benefit from the journey and move closer to our goals no matter what. Our teams know that working at Momentus means more than building innovative technology, it means creating entirely new markets in the space economy. We are level-headed, business-minded strategic thinkers intent on providing immediate value to our customers today while simultaneously preparing for the vast possibilities of the future. If this sounds like you, we should talk.
We are seeking an Sr. Propulsion Engineer who will be a leader in the development of propulsion systems at Momentus. This is an extremely technical based position which requires you to spend time both in the lab and in front of your desk. You should have experience bringing flight systems through the full development cycle.
- Lead the development of propulsion components and systems (mechanical design, materials & manufacturing methods, etc) from initial concept to assembly, integration, and test.
- Comprehensive understanding of fluid dynamics in both compressible and incompressible fluid; thermodynamics and heat transfer – able to create 1D fluid model to check theoretical performance, component’s functions/specs and the feasibility of system integration.
- Participate and lead engineering reviews of propulsion components and systems.
- Lead in the definition and execution of test plans for acceptance, qualification, and endurance testing of propulsion systems and components.
- Lead qualification, integration, and testing efforts of propulsion systems and components
- Assist in definition and documentation of assembly and manufacturing processes.
- Work with other engineers to drive components and subsystems to flight maturity.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or the equivalent
- A graduate degree (MS or PhD) is preferred
- Hands-on: desire to be involved with design, test, and assembly
- 5+ years of experience with the design of space propulsion systems (arcjet, resistojet, cold gas, bipropellant or monopropellant preferred)
- Experience with the full engineering life cycle of flight propulsion systems
- Deep understanding of fluid mechanics and compressible flow
- Familiarity with manufacturing methods, materials, and failure methods for high temperature propulsion systems
- A strong background in CAD (Solidworks preferred)
- Willingness to serve as a mentor, team player, and major contributor in a team of highly skilled engineers
This is a full-time position in San Jose, California. This position requires access to export-controlled commodities, technical data, technology, software, and services. U.S. citizenship, U.S. legal permanent resident status, or protected person status under 8 U.S.C. Â§ 1324b(a)(3) is required
Momentus is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. Momentus is also an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, creed, national origin, veteran status, disability, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or any other protected class.
To all recruitment agencies: Momentus does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our employees or any company email. Momentus will not be responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.