Molecular Assemblies, Inc. is a private life sciences company developing an enzymatic DNA synthesis technology designed to power the next generation of DNA-based products. The company’s patented Fully Enzymatic Synthesis™ (or FES™), based on making DNA the way nature makes DNA, produces long, high quality, sequence-specific DNA reliably, affordably, and sustainably. FES technology will enable the reading and writing of DNA for many industries, including industrial synthetic biology and precision medicine, as well as emerging applications of DNA for data information storage, nanomachines, and bio-based electronics. Molecular Assemblies is headquartered in San Diego.
As the Associate Scientist/Scientist, you will work closely with the biochemistry and instrumentation teams to advance Molecular Assemblies’ proprietary automated enzymatic synthesis workflow. This collaborative position will advance enzymatic synthesis by optimization of existing oligonucleotide synthesis workflows to tie into downstream applications in synthetic biology.
- Plan and prioritize assigned tasks and activities with a week-long vision with minimal guidance.
- Work independently and within teams to design and conduct experiments with proper controls and make detailed observations.
- Analyze data with appropriate methods, summarize and report insightful conclusions, and create recommendations.
- Maintain an electronic laboratory notebook with good documentation practices.
- Leverage internal advisory network to troubleshoot experiments.
- Collaborate and work effectively across disciplines in team environment, receptive and proactively engage others for new ideas.
- Communicate observations and technical findings with your team and across teams.
- Identify creative solutions that can have an impact beyond a single project.
Experience & Skills
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years hands-on experience in an R&D laboratory or equivalent.
- Strong molecular biology skill set, including PCR, sequence design, DNA/RNA purification, restriction digestions, DNA modifying enzymes, DNA/RNA synthesis, DNA assembly, and sequencing.
- Direct experience in enzymology, bioengineering, or DNA/RNA research a must.
- Proficiency with experimental design and execution, data analysis, and troubleshooting.
- Experience with NGS, liquid handling robots, protein expression and purification, or assay development a plus.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Strong collaborative skills across multidisciplinary teams.
- Strong work ethic, team player.
- Strong written, oral, and presentation communication skills.
- Salary Range: $60,000-$120,000. The base salary range represents the low and high end of the anticipated salary range for this position. The actual base salary offered for this position will be based on many factors including but not limited to individual performance, location of job, experience and skills required for this role.
EDUCATIONAL LEVEL, EDUCATIONAL DISCIPLINES:
- Minimum Bachelor of Science (Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biotechnology)
- or M.S. with 5+ years of experience
- or 2+ years research/industry experience in lab environments, respectively, with degrees in Life Sciences (Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Biotechnology) disciplines.
Don’t meet every requirement?
At MAI we are dedicated to building a diverse and inclusive workplace so if you don’t check all the boxes in the job description, we still encourage you to apply. You may be the person we are looking for.