Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
We are a vibrant team creating games together, with an ambition to inspire future generations and to build a better tomorrow. We are looking for you, a Senior Lighting Artist with experience from AA/AAA game development, to join our inclusive Stockholm studio and one of our new game teams.
You will work closely together with the Art Director and art team to translate concepts into readable and immersive environments in-game. We believe you have several years of experience working hands on with environments, lighting and 3d art in a game engine, for example Unreal 4/5, to create world-class games.
- Working with one or several cross functional teams to create high quality environments, lighting and visual ambiance.
- In collaboration with other artists, create best practices, performance, workflows and technical requirements for the lighting in the game.
- Collaborate with level designers and level artists to guide the player and evoke emotions.
To succeed in this role, we believe that you have some of the following:
- Solid experience with developing games for consoles and familiarity with action and RPG games.
- A portfolio that demonstrates versatility and high artistic skills in areas including lighting, environment art, rendering and texturing.
- Excellent understanding of and skills in lighting fundamentals, cinematography, composition, color grading and post-process workflows.
- A good understanding of a 3d-package like Maya or Blender and game engines such as Unreal, Unity or equivalent.
- An interest in narrative and game design, in Mojang’s game titles and in pixel art.
- A great collaborator and communicator with an ability to adapt to any context - be it interpersonal or in a team, discipline or studio context.
- Able to successfully establish, document and enable processes for long term sustainability.
- You are someone who cares about people and can help us build an inclusive, open, and friendly work environment.
- Communicating effectively in written and spoken English.
If this sounds like a fit to you and you want to be part of a great game studio, do not hesitate to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!