Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a Creative Manager, you, together with a producer and an engineering manager, will be taking responsibility for a team, or teams, within Minecraft Game, representing the creatives in the team and the player delight perspective in our game.
We work in cross-functional game teams where you will shape the creative part through recruitment, development as well as advocating and living our values. You will enable the team to create delightful high-quality content to Minecraft and coach people working in creative roles, such as game design, art, audio, narrative and UI/UX, in their day-to-day work to support them in their growth.
In close collaboration with the other leaders in your team, you will empower your team to continuously ship magical experiences for our players – experiences that are delightful and inspiring today, next year and in 50 years.
Here are some examples on what your tasks might be
- Hiring, coaching and developing creatives, ensuring the right skill set and attitude
- Represent the creatives in a team leadership triad and collaborate closely with your team leadership colleagues – the Producer and the Engineering Manager
- Create a high performing, safe and joyful culture based on trust
- In close collaboration with the creatives in your team, you will be accountable for enabling creative quality in your team’s deliverables and ensure they are aligned with Minecraft’s creative direction and vision
- Enable your team to work in a fun and efficient way and ensure your team’s processes enables creativity
- Collaborate with other leads to set up and maintain a sustainable and happy Minecraft Game team
- You enjoy leading and developing people and have a track record doing it
- You have experience working as a creative, such as an artist, game designer, audio designer or UI/UX designer, in a game team
- You have a passion both for games and happy teams
- You have experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders and can represent both possibilities and challenges in creative choices and justify and motivate your team’s goals
To succeed in this role, you must be a calm and reassuring leader in a growing and evolving organization. You can look at different situations, talk to stakeholders, and create your own action plan. You have a background working as a creative in a game team and have realized your biggest passion is to work with the team itself – to help everyone grow and to enable everyone to create precious experiences for our players. Finally, you are humble and like what you do. If that sounds like you, we’re very much looking forward to meeting you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!