Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
At Mojang, we create games, products and services to inspire creativity. We develop games with a strong community focus and put players first in everything we do. Our games are built for everyone, because we believe in demonstrating equality and not just talking about it.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join us in developing Minecraft Dungeons. This is a full time-role based in Stockholm with a hybrid remote working model. We collaborate closely within and across disciplines as well as with our partner studio in the U.K.
As an Engineering Manager you will be responsible for engineering across a number of cross functional teams, working in close collaboration with Tech Leads, Producers, and Game Design. You will support the teams in developing high engineering standards which support a smooth flow of work and a healthy work environment for your team members. You will also support your engineers in their growth while advocating and acting as a role model for our values. In close collaboration with project leads and producers, you will make sure we have the right talent, skills, and practices in place to deliver great features to our players.
The ideal candidate will have previously worked with teams involved in shipping an AAA game. They will also be experienced in applying engineering practices which support agile ways of working in a team.
What you will do
- Create a high performing culture based on trust
- Hiring, coaching and growing engineers, ensuring the right skill set and attitude
- Take active part in the tech strategy for your area and drive the adoption of engineering practises which support the agile ways of working adopted by the wider team
- Together with the Tech Leads you will guide the team when it comes to ensuring feasibility, managing technical health, and building with quality
- Partner closely with mission leads, Producers, and Game Design to ensure alignment on goals and plans.
- You enjoy leading and developing people and have a track record doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development, and have experience working as an engineer yourself
- You have experience working in an agile development environment, and the engineering practices which make this work
- You have experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders and can represent both possibilities and challenges in technical choices
- You have experience helping teams to deliver timely, high-quality products
- You have relevant games industry experience
To succeed in this role, you must be a calm and reassuring leader in a growing and evolving organization. Be able to look at different situations, talk to stakeholders, and create your own action plan together with stakeholders. Finally, you are humble and like what you do. If that sounds like you, we’re looking forward to meeting you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!