Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang is looking for an experienced and passionate Principal Game Developer to take on the challenges around implementing game features for the universe of Minecraft - It is a very successful game with fun and engaging people / fans, working in an environment where we want you to lean in and be creative in your work and contribute to the team with your developer perspective while also being a good communicator between disciplines and other developers.
The team consists of 40+ people, half of which are developers and the rest a mix of; designers, artists, audio designers, QA, build engineers and producers. We all collaborate closely within and across disciplines as well as with our partner studio in the U.K.
This position is full-time and based in our Stockholm studio with a hybrid working model (part office, part working from home).
You will be a critical addition to the team and help us maintain a big live game while adding new exciting features.
We are looking for someone who has worked on several released game projects. It is a job with high exposure to game technology and the latest gaming platforms that requires excellent programming and debugging skills and deep understanding of software and hardware architectures.
As a principal engineer we would seek your guidance on improving the games architecture and systems. We think you have a hands-on approach to problem solving and are a person who is not afraid to try out things and iterate to reach a solution.
Some of your tasks will be:
- Design and build core game engine features in our game projects at Mojang.
- Be a communicative driver in tech architecture, implement and maintain systems together in close collaboration with game designers
- Supporting and aligning with other feature teams working on your game project
- Manage and mentor teams and less experienced programmers. Sharing knowledge and helping colleagues.
- Communicate strategic recommendations to team leadership. Facilitate communication between engineering and production teams
- Lead conversations about the direction of major areas of the technology
- Professional experience with modern C++, including refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing. Familiarity with recent revisions to the C++ standard.
- Proficient in at least one modern game engine (preferably Unreal Engine)
- Extensive experience in best practices for software architectures used in multiplayer games.
- You have experience with structuring large code projects from the ground up.
- Fundamental math skills (matrices, vectors, algebra, etc.).
- Used to working in an international environment and to express yourself fluently in English.
- Experience with agile methodologies and workflows and a strong team player.
- Experience from implementing gameplay in shipped games on PC or consoles
Studio location: Stockholm
Reports to: Engineering Manager
If this sounds like a fit, and you want to be part of a dynamic game studio, do not hesitate to apply!
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!