Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
The Minecraft Gameplay team needs someone to help us provide our fantastic community of over 100 million players with more fun and an even better game, for many more years to come. This is not an ordinary design or developer role. In this role, your responsibility will be to help drive the creative vision for the game, and gameplay feature design. Be the voice for the players and help add as much delight as possible for years to come.
The Minecraft Gameplay team is responsible for the gameplay of the original Minecraft game, on all platforms and all for all players. Our feature development process is very iterative, and we build new gameplay in close collaboration with our huge and diverse community.
As a Senior Game Designer, you will work closely together with the rest of the Minecraft team on and our community to develop new features in Minecraft and to improve existing gameplay. You will be part of the full process of gameplay development - from brainstorming and design to implementation and maintenance.
As a Senior Game Designer in the Minecraft team, you will:
- Execute on the creative vision of Minecraft.
- Create design ideas and concepts related to new and existing features, working in close coordination with Art, Audio, Narrative, Engineering, Production, and other teams.
- Prototype new feature ideas and updates to existing features.
- Regularly seek feedback from the wider team to aid you in creating the best player experiences.
- Drive and lead design discussions, elevating both the team and crafts understanding of game design principles and methodology.
Be able to communicate design rationales, feedback, and choices clearly and effectively, as they relate to your features and the studio as a whole.
We believe you are someone that have:
- Advanced experience in gameplay design in the games industry, having shipped at least one title in a senior design role.
- Strong knowledge of game design and understanding of contextualized design.
- Experience with rapid prototyping.
- Desire to be part of a creative and highly collaborative team and ability to take feedback and direction.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written form, to support your vision.
- Experience playing Minecraft, and an understanding of what makes Minecraft what it is.
Experience with Java- or C++ development (for feature prototyping purposes).
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!