Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a Lead Producer you manage a group of Producers while overseeing projects within a sub-team that the Brand Creative Team are responsible for. A Lead Producer is the ultimate combination of a seasoned producer and a team lead who supports in building and nurturing collaborative relationships between the internal studio as well as bridging Stockholm and Redmond studios to ensure a ‘one team’ approach. You work in collaboration with various department leads and creative studio leads to reach common goals for the franchise.
The successful candidate will be calm and assertive, committed and honest, inspiring and innovative while juggling various responsibilities and exemplifying leadership behavior all at once.
Strategy & Planning
- In partnership with Brand Creative senior management, develop production strategy and vision for the sub-team that supports the long-term business plan for Mojang Studios.
- Develop sub-team OKR’s in alignment with the overarching Brand Creative OKRs and with business priorities.
- Prioritise and delegate projects to team members in accordance to the portfolio plan and for the Franchise best interest.
- Act as a ˜brand guardian’ for Mojang, with respect to educating around and ensuring brand guidelines and assets are properly understood and followed in all projects.
- Champion use of team wide project management tools and ways of working.
Production and process-work
- Partner with the IT team for the maintenance or purchase and set up of all project tools required for the group to succeed.
- Partner with the Finance team in tracking team budget requests and spends, project reconciliations, approving team member time reports and expense reports and partner invoices.
- Own all scopes and contracts signed with 3rd party vendors and set up a repository to track contracts over time within the group.
- Be the primary point of contact answering incoming requests from other departments.
- Produce projects as needed, given the complexity of project(s) or in times of peak production.
- Responsible for recruiting new producers to the sub-team and onboarding new members.
- Assess employee performance throughout the year and give continuous feedback in 1:1s ensuring team members health, performance and development.
- Based on set performance, development goals, input from peers and Producers, give input to adjust compensation at salary review in March for each year.
- Yearly development talks with team members and set new performance and development goals with team members.
- Drive development and learning in your employees through coaching, mentoring and management support.
- Act as a contact point for the team members when clarification is needed on company information.
- Help identify and mitigate issues in the teams and escalate when necessary.
- Communication - make sure information is communicated to team members - vision, strategy, KPI of franchise as well as how they contribute to the company's goals.
- Be a link between team members and leadership during change management.
- Be a champion of our Mojang culture – fostering a positive, creative, and collaborative work environment where people feel safe and included.
- Minimum 12 years' experience working as Producer/Production Manager (or similar) from relevant field.
- Previous management experience with direct reports having mentored and developed team members
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English.
- High level of emotional intelligence and ability to empathize with various stakeholder groups and consolidate different motives and perspectives into a project or process.
- Natural problem solver with ability to leverage critical thinking to objectively evaluate scenarios and come to solutions.
- Expert understanding of creative production, project processes and best practices.
- Excellent collaboration, organization and documentation skills, with an eye for detail.
- Knowledge of MS Suite, Slack, ClickUp and Microsoft services (Teams, SharePoint, etc.)
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!