Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a Senior Narrative Designer, your work and passion will enhance all Minecraft players' stories and the enduring mysteries at the heart of our blocky world. Narrative Designers encompass a wide range of work that isn't just scripts. Environmental storytelling, character design, gameplay integration, player motivation design, audioscapes, and UI will all be part of your everyday adventure at Mojang.
- Create new stories, characters, and essential elements of environmental storytelling for a wide range of narrative experiences.
- Anticipate content needs, manage time, and deliver content that fits the expectation of all projects and project creative leads.
- Manage large areas of Minecraft worldbuilding, from inception through execution, and plan seamless connections with other Minecraft games and non-game experiences.
- Lead education of internal and external partners about Minecraft's storytelling history, opportunities, and unique style of worldbuilding.
- Oversee creation and maintenance of internal worldbuilding reference material that can be repurposed to fit multiple game and non-game audiences.
- Lead production and internal communication efforts for narrative projects as needed.
- Communicate and partner effectively to ensure we follow our creative vision for Minecraft with both internal and external partners.
- Tangible, provable experience (such as shipped titles and personal body of work) in regard to the responsibilities of this role.
- Must be an avid consumer and reasonable critic of Minecraft and video games broadly.
- Deep understanding of contextualized narrative design.
- An eagerness to continue to learn and grow together with your peers.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written form, to support your vision.
- Deep insight into how to work effectively with all game development partner teams (including but not limited to gameplay design, art, audio, production, UI, and test).
- Demonstrable experience leading content creation projects or (preferably and) content teams and a clear understanding of what went well and what didn’t go well for those efforts.
Team & Studio
- Senior Narrative Designers work in a production team, under the leadership of creative and production leaders within the assigned project and across the Minecraft studio.
- They work cross functionally, and they manage and take full responsibility for their work as well as the work of others.
- The Narrative Director should be able to delegate cross-game narrative challenges to you.
- You are to be a great example of the culture and values of Mojang Studios.
- Senior Narrative Designers report to a Design Manager and Narrative Director. They work together with their manager on their growth, performance, wellbeing, and engagement. They work with the Narrative Director to improve storytelling skills and coordinate stories across Minecraft projects.
- It is expected of a Senior Narrative Designer to develop both new capabilities with the craft and work on their management and leadership skills. They should act as role models and mentors for less experienced Narrative Designers and colleagues across the studio.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!