Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
At Mojang, we create games, products and services to inspire creativity. We develop games with a strong community focus and put players first in everything we do. Our games are built for everyone, because we believe in demonstrating equality and not just talking about it.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager to be part of the Minecraft game team working in Stockholm. The Minecraft team keeps expanding to help realize the dream of a better Minecraft experience, a game enjoyed by over 100,000,000 players worldwide. We have big dreams for the future of Minecraft and our studio and need your help making them happen!
As an Engineering Manager, you will be taking responsibility for one of our teams within this product area. It’s a cross-functional game team where you will shape the engineering part through recruitment, development as well as advocating and living our values. You will also support your engineers in their growth along with working together with your team on continues improvements. In close collaboration with Producers, you will make sure we have the right people in the right place to deliver great features to our players.
Here are some examples on what your tasks might be
- Hiring, coaching and growing engineers, ensuring the right skill set and attitude.
- Create a high performing culture based on trust.
- Together with the Tech Lead you will guide the team when it comes to technical health including paying back tech debt and building with quality.
- Take active part in the tech strategy for your area and advocate great engineering practises as well as continuous improvement.
- Partner closely with Producer to ensure alignment on goals and plans.
- Work with Tech leads and engineers to ensure our plans are feasible
- You enjoy leading and developing people and have a track record doing it.
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development
- You have experience helping teams to deliver timely, high-quality products
- You have solid experience working in an agile development environment
- You have experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders and can represent both possibilities and challenges in technical choices
- You have solid experience working in agile development environments
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!