Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang is looking for a Client Online Engineer to take on the challenges around implementing online features for the universe of Minecraft Dungeons - It is a very successful game with fun and engaging people / fans, working in an environment where we want you to lean in and be creative in your work and contribute to the team with your developer perspective while also being a good communicator between disciplines and other developers.
The team consists of 40+ people, half of which are developers and the rest a mix of; designers, artists, audio designers, QA, build engineers and producers. We all collaborate closely within and across disciplines as well as with our partner studio in the U.K.
Your work will have a major impact on the online experience where you will build on functionality such as Cross Platform play, LiveOps and Multiplayer functionality for the universe of Minecraft Dungeons just to mention a few.
You will have a large impact on the online experience, quality and feeling of the product.
Some of your tasks will be:
- Inside the Online team together with other client and backend developers, implement scalable online systems for the Universe of Minecraft Dungeons.
- Make use of third-party services and SDK’s in order to deliver a smooth and coherent experience on all our target platforms.
- Drive new initiatives with new features, where you need to align with several other disciplines such as Game Designers, UI/UX and Backend developers to name a few.
- Be involved in design discussions where you provide the developer perspective with limitations and possibilities.
- Define technical solutions for various online features following design documentation.
- Collaborating with and supporting other feature teams working on the game.
- Professional experience with modern C++ (including refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing), and familiarity with recent revisions to the C++ standard.
- Experience with agile methodologies and workflows
- We would like you to have a genuine interest in game development and the games industry.
- Used to working in an international environment and to express yourself fluently in English.
Bonus if you have
- Multiplayer/Online/Networking engineering experience.
- Understanding of software architecture patterns used for multiplayer games.
- Experience in working on consoles.
- Experience in at least one game engine (like Unreal Engine).
- Experience with online features such as, matchmaking, lobbies, friends lists, LiveOps, News, ...
If this sounds like a fit to you and you want to be part of a dynamic game studio, do not hesitate to apply.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!