Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As Senior Prototype Specialist you refine and develop ideas and concepts into playable prototypes demonstrating innovative gameplay, yet firmly rooted in the Minecraft DNA. Doing this you will be working with both creative and product leadership stakeholders on the direction of new concepts to explore for the Minecraft franchise. Exploration, research, ideation, designing, problem solving, and prototyping are all part of this role.
- Work together with stakeholders on the direction of new concepts to explore for the Minecraft franchise.
- Ideate, develop concepts, and design mechanics, systems, and features related to new and established, features and games, together with your team
- Refine and develop existing ideas and concepts into playable prototypes, inside the game engine of your choice. Drive design discussions and subject deep dives in order to better understand game genres and player motivations.
- Efficiently able to articulate rationales, feedback and design choices, as related to the consistency within the project and across the studio.
Work is either done on an individual basis or as a part of a small team; at times closely with a game designer and director, and other times you take on that role yourself. Alongside this you’d be helping out on franchise wide projects that relates to cross games initiatives which promotes pushing new games and updates to released games forward.
- The ability to drive an idea from generation, through concepting, and proof of concept to distilled learnings
- Able to quickly invest in and divest ideas; own, and others
- Have a history of creating a multitude of games and prototypes spanning genres, scope and team sizes.
- Have a basic knowledge of Minecraft and its history.
- Prestige less (we mean it)
- Highly susceptible to explore feedback from stakeholders and team members.
- Have a high degree of curiousness and be eager to learn new things.
- Have a broad experience using suitable tools (for example, Unreal, Unity, Godot, Love2d) and programming languages (for example C++, C#, GDScript, Lua), for the purpose of realizing games, and the will to learn new ones if needed. Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written form, to support your vision
To succeed in this role we believe you have a growth mindset and embrace killing your darlings, while knowing ‘why’. You have great written and verbal communication skills, since you will be responsible for documenting and communicating design and tech related decisions of the development process towards stakeholders. Further on, you are a self-organized team player since you, together with a small team, will own the process from concept to handover for evaluation.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!