Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang is looking for a Gameplay Engineer to take on the challenges around implementing gameplay features for the universe of Minecraft Dungeons - It is a very successful game with fun and engaging people / fans, working in an environment where we want you to lean in and be creative in your work and contribute to the team with your developer perspective while also being a good communicator between disciplines and other developers.
The team consists of 40+ people, half of which are developers and the rest a mix of; designers, artists, audio designers, QA, build engineers and producers. We all collaborate closely within and across disciplines as well as with our partner studio in the U.K.
You will work investigating and implementing new gameplay mechanics and features as well as revisiting and refactoring outdated code. You will do this in a dedicated cross-functional team, while also keeping up with all other Game Engineers in regular synchs.
You will have a major impact on the gameplay experience and will have a large impact on the quality and feeling of the product.
Some of your tasks will be:
- Implementing gameplay features for Minecraft Dungeons.
- Be involved in design discussions, implement and maintain gameplay systems together with game designers
- Collaborate with Game Designers to design, implement and maintain gameplay systems.
- Define technical solutions for gameplay features following design documentation and workflow tools
- Supporting and aligning with other feature teams working on your game project
- Professional experience with modern C++ (including refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing), and familiarity with recent revisions to the C++ standard.
- Proficient in at least one modern game engine (like Unreal)
- Experience with agile methodologies and workflows
- Understanding of software architecture patterns used for multiplayer games.
- Have a genuine interest in game development and the games industry.
- Used to working in an international environment and to express yourself fluently in English.
- Support and act as a role model to less experienced developers
Ideally, experienced with at least one of the following:
- Experience from implementing gameplay in shipped games on PC or consoles
- Experience with scripting languages such as Lua or Angelscript
If this sounds like a fit, and you want to be part of a dynamic game studio, do not hesitate to apply!
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!