Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
We are looking for a Tech Lead who can support our engineering manager in stewarding the technology behind Minecraft. Minecraft is developed on two platforms, the Java platform and the Bedrock/C++ edition. As the Tech Lead of the Minecraft team for the Java edition, you have the unique challenge of helping to design and implement gameplay systems, allowing our incredible community to realize their creations using mechanics and technologies that you created, and improving the performance and stability of the game.
You will have two primary areas of accountability: engineering health, and delivery.
Primary responsibilities for engineering health:
- Work closely with your Engineering Manager and the Tech Director to set technical direction.
- Take technical responsibility for entire solutions within your area.
- Champion technical and architectural excellence and mentor developers in this area.
- Communicate and document technical direction for your team(s).
Primary responsibilities for delivery:
- Gather feedback and represent your team in technical discussions.
- Provide tech feasibility input and communicate needs to the wider organisation.
- Identify technical areas for collaboration with other parts of the organisation and disciplines.
- Work closely with teams to do code reviews, set coding standards, ensure developer
As a Tech Lead, we believe you are someone that have:
- Solid knowledge in Java
- Previous experience in technical leadership, preferably in Java
- Solid knowledge of Minecraft, possibly through modding or content creation for the
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!