Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
We are a vibrant game studio, with an ambition to inspire generations to come and to build a better tomorrow. We are looking for you, a talented Concept Artist, to join our Stockholm Studio for the opportunity to work on our globally celebrated games like Minecraft and Minecraft Dungeons.
As Concept Artist at Mojang you will work with several of our game teams, channeling ideas, and designs into concrete artistic visions. We are looking for a creative, well organized, and self-propelled person with an ability to inspire.
- Visualize and expand the ideas of game teams via concept art – using for example sketches, speed paintings, polished paintings, and model sheets.
- Work under the leadership of Art Directors and collaborate with them and the teams to help build the game's artistic vision. Take an active part in ideation processes.
- Working in several teams (sometimes in parallel) you will take an active part in planning, pipeline development, prioritizing tasks and estimating time for your deliverables.
- Communicate your processes, progression, results, and insights to the teams.
- Document your work and contribute to style guides.
- Grow a healthy, collaborative, fun and creative studio culture.
To succeed in this role, we believe that you have some of the following:
- Experience in crafting concept art for video games, from conception to release.
- Ability to deliver art of high standard and for many purposes – characters, environments, architecture, prop design to mention a few.
- Some understanding of the requirements for game development and preferably some experience working with multiple projects and larger teams.
- An excellent understanding of the principles of art; like composition, perspective, color theory, lighting, texturing etc.
- A strong ability to adapt to a variety of styles and specifically the Minecraft style.
- A good understanding of game design, storytelling and animation and an ability to incorporate it in your concept art.
- Some hands-on experience from creating pixel art is a big bonus.
- Experience using photoshop and a 3D-software.
- Strong ability to communicate and contextualize ideas, plans and result of your artistic work, both in writing and verbally for different audiences.
- You are highly organized and efficient - able to manage multiple production pipelines and familiar with working in an agile environment.
- You are someone that cares about people and can help us continue to build an inclusive, open, and friendly work environment
- Fluent in English (spoken and in writing)
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!