Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
We are now looking for a Business Director to join us in our journey.
As a core part of our Games organization, you will play a key role in shaping the direction for Mojang Games. Working closely with leaders within the Games organization and the Franchise growth team, you will enable the long-term strategy of building an inspiring games portfolio.
You will be working in the world between product and business. By building the bridge between them, you will enable product and business to have a united front when developing business cases. Your superpower lies in having a strong financial understanding together with a deep knowledge of the gaming or entertainment industry. You can develop financial/business models such as Profit and Loss (P&L) models, risk assessments, Long Range Planning (LRP) processes and communicate these concisely to multiple leaders within the franchise.
- Business modeling is a core component of the role. Others on the business team may be able to help a little here, but the person in this role needs to be confident in understanding key drivers, all the necessary inputs/levers, and how to build a solid financial plan for the product. You will be directly supporting Executive Producers and the Head of Games with Return on Investment (RoI) analysis and models.
- Support Quarterly Forecast, Annual Budget, Long Range Planning (LRP) processes. Includes consolidation, insights, and storytelling across the franchise in addition to P&L reporting.
- Working together with the business teams to understand trends, financial results, milestones, risks, and opportunities, and synthesize into an overall narrative for the rest of the organization.
- Collaborate and partner with multiple product leads within the organization to help build, model, and understand business trends, build business cases on monetization models and pricing strategy.
- Strong financial background/experience. Your financial/business acumen is a valuable component that you bring to the table. You should be able to both understand and explain the language, process, and how key drivers and levers work in financial modelling.
- Extensive domain knowledge within gaming and/or entertainment. You should be able to understand the player’s motivations, follow current gaming trends and use that knowledge in your work.
- Excellent communication and story-telling skills especially when it comes to data and analytical concepts. You will need to be able to both discuss and explain complex models with a broad group of leaders
- Exceptional problem-solving, analytical, and quantitative skills, including strong business modelling abilities.
- Ability to balance confidence with a growth mindset – be able to challenge status quo using your expertise and opinion while at the same time recognizing there is a broad group of subject-matter experts that you work with and can incorporate new views and relevant information.
- Curious – You have a constant desire to ask questions and understand all the things. You have a willingness to engage with the Minecraft Franchise, from taking part in internal playtests to engaging with content created by our multitude of creators.
- Ability to form trust-based relationships, especially in a cross-cultural environment.
- Bonus: Experience in free-to-play and games-as-a-service business modelling.
- Bonus: Enjoy playing all kinds of games
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!