Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang is looking for a Senior Online Engineer to take on the challenges around implementing online features for the universe of Minecraft Dungeons. The team consists of 30+ people, half of which are developers and the rest a mix of; designers, artists, audio designers, QA, build engineers and producers. We all collaborate closely within and across disciplines as well as with our partner studio in the U.K.
We are looking for an Engineer with passion for technology and proven track record in the games industry working with multiplayer games.
Your work will have a major impact on the online experience and will build on the industry leading cross-play functionality of Mojang’s titles. You will have a large impact on the quality and feeling of the product.
Some of your tasks will be:
- Together with the other engineers on the team, implement the online systems for a new game title in the Minecraft universe.
- Partner with the Mojang Games Foundation team to help build scalable backend systems that will build the backbone of the social and collaborative aspects of the game experience.
- Make optimal use of third party networking API:s and services in order to deliver a smooth and coherent experience on all of our target platforms.
- Implementing online features for Minecraft Dungeons.
- Be involved in design discussions, implement and maintain online/multiplayer systems together with other team members.
- Define technical solutions for various online features following design documentation.
- Collaborating with and supporting other feature teams working on the game.
- Strong multiplayer/online engineering skills.
- Experience from implementing multiplayer in multiple shipped games on PC or consoles
- Fluent in modern C++ (including refactoring, optimization, debugging and testing), and familiarity with recent revisions to the C++ standard.
- Proficient in at least one modern game engine (like Unreal)
- Experience with agile methodologies and workflows
- Understanding of software architecture patterns used for multiplayer games.
- Have a genuine interest in game development and the games industry.
- Used to working in an international environment and to express yourself fluently in English.
- Support and act as a role model to less experienced developers
- Experience with matchmaking, lobbies, friends lists and host migration would be a plus
- Experience with serverless computing platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, or Amazon EC2.
If this sounds like a fit to you and you want to be part of a dynamic game studio, do not hesitate to apply.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!
Important note on resumes
Please make sure that all the information in your resume is accurate because we will conduct a thorough background check. Any discrepancies will lower your chances of getting to the next interview stage and we’d hate to miss out on an awesome candidate! Double check that any gap years are reflected in your history, and that your education and work experience are completely accurate. Good luck!