Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As a Lead Level Designer on the Minecraft Dungeons team, you will be responsible for leading the creation of interesting and diverse level content. It will be your responsibility to document and communicate best practices for creating levels, reviewing the work of others, and coaching level designers inside and outside the studio. You will also help define how to best create levels at scale and in large quantities, with a team of level designers spread across internal and external teams. As a lead designer, you’ll support your vision in practice with content that showcases level creation at its best. You will collaborate closely with gameplay designers, creative stakeholders and programmers, in a highly iterative process, to ensure our levels are well-balanced, fun and rewarding.
We also think you have a strong desire to learn what makes Minecraft lovable for such a huge and diverse player base, and how carry that into Minecraft Dungeons to ensure we keep that magic of Minecraft while also always updating and improving it.
Your tasks will include...
- Lead the level design in Minecraft Dungeons by creating and showcasing inspirational, high-quality level content
- Set guidelines and creative vision to help other level designers create the best levels possible
- Communicate and collaborate with game designers, visual artists, audio teams and game developers to determine requirements for level creation
- Define assets, gameplay mechanics and tools needed to create immersive levels at scale
- Work closely with game designers to support short-term and long-term gameplay loops, including combat and player progression, in our levels
- Collaborate with your team and others at the company on creating the best experience for our players and on ensuring we follow our creative vision for Minecraft
- A strong understanding of how to implement quality level design at scale
- Strong knowledge of how level design and generalized game design interact
- Experience working with level design in the games industry
- Excellent communication skills, both verbally and in written form, to support your vision
- Desire to be part of a creative and highly collaborative team and ability to take feedback and direction
- The team values inclusivity, diversity, transparency and collaboration – as you’ll be working closely with us, we hope you’ll feel the same way!
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!