Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
As the Art Director in the Brand Team, you are responsible for leading the art direction and creative vision for design and Brand initiatives for our cross-ocean Minecraft Franchise studios. You set the artistic vision for our Brand and design (out-of-game) while overlooking and ensuring consistency in collaborations across studios together with our Team Lead Senior Art Director and partner agencies. You generate ideas, set art direction based on briefs, and formulate creative art briefs, and direct partner agencies and creatives within our studios.
The Brand Art Director needs to communicate and maintain the studios' artistic vision across art disciplines, work with Brand initiatives, and align it with its broader goals and ambitions. You report directly and work closely with our Senior Art Director, Creative Director, cross-studio stakeholders, and partner agencies. The key to this role is setting the art direction, directing, inspiring, and motivating the artist(s) working on Branding and design for the Minecraft Franchise. You will need to continually evolve, set, and iterate the overarching art vision for the studio's brand initiatives to succeed. Previous experience with Brand work is merited!
- Define, develop, direct, and communicate the overall artistic vision for the game brand projects aligned with the overarching art direction for the entire studio
- Generate ideas based on briefs and assignments from our cross-ocean Brand Team
- Ability to visualize concepts with craft and care, and able to deliver campaigns from concept to execution
- A bridge between brand managers and artists and serves as an internal art critic to achieve quality targets
- Provides clear written and illustrated guidelines that communicate art vision to both internal and external agencies
- Supports in the evaluation, hiring and assignment of talent for art disciplines for the brand initiatives
- 5 years previous industry experience as an art director or related role
- Experience working in a small team, large studios, as well as in virtual distributed teams
- Understanding how to take an overarching strategy and vision from Creative Leadership into art execution
- Ability to visualize concepts with craft and care and deliver art-related projects from conception to execution
- Generate ideas based on briefs and assignments from our cross-ocean studios
- Ability to make a direct contribution to the creation of art visualization through hands-on examples
- Excellent communication, time-management and organizational skills
- Expert level in Adobe Creative Suite
- Skills in 3D and animation is a plus
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!