Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang Studios is growing, and we’re looking for a Quality Assessment Manager who wants to make a big impact on the quality of the titles we are developing, including Minecraft and Minecraft: Dungeons. As the Quality Assessment Manager, you will work side by side with our partners in Microsoft Studios Quality, our community volunteers and directly with producers, developers, designers, content creators and others to create incredible entertainment experiences.
In this role, you will build a strategy that ensures we’ve covered each feature thoroughly and give confidence that it’s ready to be played. To tell our quality story you will leverage a variety of tools and techniques, including automation, internal and external data sources, gameplay telemetry, betas, playtests, player feedback, and hands on manual inspection and exploration. As the voice of quality, you'll need to effectively communicate the quality of the feature or title to key stakeholders across multiple teams.
As part of the Games Foundation organization, you will lead a team of 6+ QA Specialists that works embedded in the game teams responsible for the quality in their respective fields. You will grow, mentor and coach the team, taking care of their wellbeing and career paths.
The Quality Assessment Manager will report to the Executive Producer, Games Foundation.
About the role
As a Quality Assessment Manager at Mojang, you will be responsible for:
- Define the testing strategy for feature work developed in Stockholm and align with the overall Microsoft Studios Quality strategy.
- Build and maintain relationships with the Microsoft Studios Quality team.
- Lead the team of QA Specialists, ensure the team fulfills the quality vision and objectives, as well as mentoring the individuals, coaching, and taking care of their wellbeing and professional development.
- Be the advocate of quality for all the studio’s games and maintain a good knowledge of our game portfolio.
- Work on a higher level with the studio’s development teams with focus on quality.
- Identifying key talent for the QA organization.
- Providing feedback to production about the general state of quality in the games.
- Always be the voice of the entire QA organization’s priorities toward the studio’s teams.
Requirements (skills and personal traits)
- Strong management and collaboration skills.
- Strong knowledge of a software project’s lifecycle.
- The ability to succinctly assess risks in quality issues of all types on an issue tracker.
- The ability to support your team with reliable reproduction procedures for even the trickiest of bugs.
- An instinct for game system interactions that may guide your QA team beyond the strict requirements of a testing request.
- A love for games of all genres, and on all platforms.
- Previous experience as a QA manager, preferably in a gaming organization.
- Previous experience with modding, game design, or other game development experience is a big plus (but by no means required).
- Previous experience in, or training for, QA is appreciated.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!