Mojang Studios is best known as the creators of Minecraft, but we’re also on a mission – to build a better world through the power of play.
Why play? Well, play is at the heart of everything we do. It’s the blocky backbone of our games, the core of our development philosophy, and even the origin of our name. From the relentless experimentation of our endlessly inspiring community to the classrooms where Minecraft has become an essential teaching tool, play is the bedrock of our existence.
Mojang Studios is growing, fueled by the constant expansion of the Minecraft universe, and we’re now looking for a Brand Director to join the cross-ocean Leadership team. In close collaboration with our Marketing, Creative, and Games teams, the Brand Director will be responsible for crafting a coherent brand direction and purpose through design and storytelling.
In this role, you are responsible for shaping our brand vision, and realizing it through business strategy. You’ll also need to balance the strong internal culture of Mojang Studios with the external perception of the studio and of Minecraft.
As Brand Director, you will lead the Brand Creative Group alongside our Creative Director and Head of Creative Production. The team consists of 40+ friendly and uniquely talented people, ranging from artists and writers to producers and project managers. In this role, you will chart their course as the team plans, develops, and executes on global multi-channel campaigns and initiatives.
We see this role as instrumental in making sure our brand values come through in everything we do. To this end, you are an exceptional communicator and a natural collaborator who excels at bridging key departments and teams within a global context. You’ll forge strong partnerships throughout the organization and become a champion of the brand vision.
The Brand Director role will report to the Head of the Stockholm studio.
About the role
- Assume responsibility for the Minecraft brand architecture, its positioning and strategy. Ensure that this work is complementary to the Mojang Studios brand and franchise strategy.
- Identify and establish KPIs based on our values, brand purpose, and objectives. Translate these into insights for increased brand awareness and business support.
- Lead the Brand team and ensure it fulfills its vision and objectives, including the successful delivery of key brand guidelines and assets.
- Develop and present compelling brand strategies for new initiatives that track toward key business requirements.
- Champion the brand vision, build relationships, and inspire people across the studio to demonstrate how their day-to-day work can support and further our brand efforts.
- 10+ years of experience from building global brands within entertainment, gaming or other relevant industry, preferably in a scalable organization.
- Degree in business, marketing, branding, communications, or a related field.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven track record from navigating a matrix organization.
- Ability to inspire, coach, and lead a high-performing team while collaborating effectively with peers, and senior leadership.
- Ability to identify and apply critical consumer insights to brand development, with experience applying various research methodologies (both qualitative and quantitative) to the process.
- Experience from leading multi-disciplinary internal and external teams.
- Plays Minecraft!
Sample work will be requested during the interview process.
Mojang Studios is a Microsoft-owned game developer. The company was founded in Stockholm, Sweden and has offices around the world, including Stockholm, Redmond, Tokyo, London, and Shanghai. We’re always working on new and exciting ways to expand the Minecraft universe.
Our community is global and incredibly diverse. We keep this in mind when developing anything, as we want people to feel included in Minecraft. And in recruiting, our goal is to make Mojang Studios as diverse as our community.
We got started as a tiny indie developer, and part of our culture still reflects that heritage. But we’re also proud to belong to Xbox Game Studios, which creates unique opportunities to grow and develop.
To help us achieve amazing things, we have built an equally amazing studio space. Situated right on the water by Söder Mälarstrand, it’s filled to the brim with all the tools, toys and caffeine required to create world-class entertainment.
But in the end, it’s the people of Mojang Studios that make this place truly special. When you join, you’ll find yourself in the company of incredibly bright, warm, and creative individuals – all united and working toward a single goal. Come help us reach it!