Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based digital content and professional support from a global network of certified coaches or therapists all in one comprehensive app. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 220+ global companies like Lyft, SoFi, Pixar, Gusto, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status. We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
In 2020 we tripled our employee headcount, doubled our customer base and grew our revenue 10x. As a hyper-growth company we have maintained our people-first culture winning awards including Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
As the third attorney on the commercial legal team, you will handle and lead a wide variety of commercial legal work, including review of sales, partnership, and vendor agreements and projects related to support of our Marketing, Customer Success, Sales, Product, Engineering and Operations teams. You will drive projects to help the company scale as we grow by adding efficiency to the existing processes and spearheading new initiatives. You will be able to mentor other members of the legal team, including a Commercial Counsel and a Contracts Manager. Reporting to the Legal Director, this role will be a key advisor to the business.
We’re committed to the health and safety of the community, so our team is currently working remotely and will continue to do so for the near term. Permanently remote opportunities are specifically indicated. This position is not eligible to be performed in Colorado or Hawaii.
What You’ll Do-
- Lead negotiations of sales deals and provide guidance to the Sales and Customer Support teams on legal aspects of customer-facing negotiations
- Work closely with the Sales, Care, and Operations team on negotiating arrangements with our prospective commercial partners and suppliers
- Work cross functionally to support product development and launch initiatives, including internationally
- Propose and create internal process improvements and standard practices, including creating playbooks and internal resources for the Legal and other teams
- Lead initiatives related to internal contracting processes, including improvements to our contract management solution
- Collaborate with the Sales and Marketing teams to ensure that all customer-facing material presents our product and company fairly and accurately
- Negotiate material vendor deals and assist different teams in assessing risk related to purchasing by the company
- Collaborate closely with other members of the legal team to achieve common goals and objectives
- Propose creative ideas as to how we can work within the law to provide amazing user experiences
Who You Are-
- 5+ years of combined, relevant experience in in-house legal departments and/or law firms
- California Bar admission in good standing (or Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- Experience leading negotiations of customer and vendor-facing commercial deals, including data protection agreements
- Experience of cross-functional collaboration and project management
- Experience providing advice to and interfacing with company executives on strategic commercial matters
- Experience with creating processes to increase efficiency of the legal and other teams
- Demonstrated business judgment, intellectual creativity, and rigorous problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to provide pragmatic and practical advice on complex legal matters
- Extremely strong written and oral communication skills with a persistent eye toward problem-solving
- Adept at operating in a fast-paced, dynamic work environment
- Experience working on commercial matters in health technology sector is a big plus
- Experience advising on international deals is also a plus
- Experience advising on product matters is a plus
- People management experience is a plus
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Stipend towards mental health benefits
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Generous parental leave policy
- Unlimited career growth opportunity