About Modern Health
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based digital content and professional support from a global network of certified coaches or therapists all in one comprehensive app. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 220+ global companies like Lyft, SoFi, Pixar, Gusto, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status. We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
In 2020 we tripled our employee headcount, doubled our customer base and grew our revenue 10x. As a hyper-growth company we have maintained our people-first culture winning awards including Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
Modern Health’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking to bring on two Engineering Directors to support the teams as we scale. The two roles we’re looking for are:
- The Platform Engineering Director will lead teams focused on platform engineering, infrastructure, and security. These teams consist of multidisciplinary engineers with goals like moving to a service-oriented architecture, achieving international scalability, and maintaining an exceptional security posture. This role also manages IT engineering.
- The Product Engineering Director will lead a series of cross-functional product engineering teams, focused on specific areas of the business. These autonomous teams included dedicated product managers, designers, engineering managers along with full stack engineers who build consumer-facing features across our web and mobile platforms.
This role will report to the VP of Engineering and is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Provide technical leadership, mentorship, and guidance to a growing organization with 3+ engineering managers (or leads) and 20+ engineers
- Partner with product, business, and operations stakeholders on roadmaps, timelines, and technical strategy
- Partner with engineering leadership to set standards, technical vision, and uphold our workplace philosophy
- Champion engineering and operational excellence, establishing metrics for quality and velocity
- Communicate engineering successes while illustrating the business value of delivered capabilities. And you’ll translate business opportunities into engineering initiatives
- Work with executive leadership to set expectations. You’ll manage risks, dependencies and tradeoffs inevitable in complex project delivery
- Be a coach, thought partner, and sounding board. You will help your team build problem-solving skills by practicing reflective listening, asking good questions, and giving timely, direct and kind feedback and encouragement.
- Recruit, engage, and retain great problem-solvers and collaborators. You’ll be responsible for building diverse, inclusive teams, where everyone feels comfortable and safe being themselves at work.
- You have 10+ years of experience as an engineer or technologist
- You have significant experience as a hands-on technical contributor earlier in your career
- You know how to participate in the technical details while still empowering your team to make decisions
- You have a deep understanding of modern software development practices
- You enjoy coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking
- 4+ years of management experience; We’ll want to hear how your reports developed and grew under your leadership, and how you made your work environment inclusive and psychologically safe.
- 2+ years managing engineering managers; You have a track record of coaching and mentoring engineering leaders on both technical and management tracks
- You have exceptional verbal and written communication skills. You should be able to explain your approach and the impact of your work to non-technical stakeholders in a way that is clear to them.
- You have the ability to attract talent and develop high performing teams. Proven recruiting experience as a hiring manager. You have experience hiring and growing senior leaders and managers
- You have a strong business acumen, and comfortable interacting with customers directly when needed
- You have the ability to balance business needs, a sense of urgency, and shipping high quality and pragmatic solutions
- You keep up with the industry trends and identify new tools to use to solve technical problems
- AWS: ECS and cloud hosting
- Gitlab: CI/CD
- Python: Django, Flask, aiohttp
- Data: PostgreSQL, Redis, Looker
- Monitoring: Datadog and Sentry
- IaC: Terraform, Packer
- Frontend: React, React-Native
Bonus points if you have experience in:
- Working at a high growth startup
- Working on SaaS software
- Working in Health Tech
- Experience with business development and sales teams
- Experience working at companies that have a global presence (e.g. infrastructure deployed in multiple geographies)
- Experience defining and building new teams and departments from scratch
- Experience managing vendor relationships, negotiating contracts, and forecasting budgets
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance (and dependents covered at 60%)
- High deductible health plan option with health savings account
- Modern Health product or equivalent cost of external care
- Flexible PTO
- Company-wide mental health days
- Unlimited career growth opportunity
- Parental leave policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial planning through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- WFH Equipment Stipend
- Natural Disaster Relief Stipend
- Mod Squad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more!