Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based technology and professional support from a certified coach or therapist. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, and Y Combinator, and partner with companies like Pixar, Gusto, Okta, EA, and Nextdoor that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $42 million and is looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
As the first accounting hire and as a foundational member of the newly-formed Finance Team, you’ll be instrumental in developing the finance/accounting function at Modern Health (high-growth, privately-held, customers across the globe). You will develop and lead all aspects of the accounting function (monthly close, GL, AP, AR, payroll, tax, equity, etc.) and will manage our external accounts prior to bringing accounting fully in-house. We’re looking for someone who has in-depth technical accounting experience, is an expert in executing typical accounting processes, and who can help build out and scale our account systems/infrastructure, processes, and controls. This is a high-visibility role and a great opportunity for someone who is looking to step into a lead accounting role at a fast growing startup with global reach. This role reports to the VP of Finance.
What You’ll Do
- Act as a partner to the VP of Finance on all accounting matters
- Lead outside accountants in the month-end close process (reviewing journal entries, account reconciliations, variance analyses, and financial reporting schedules)
- Optimize organization of financial statements through defining new accounts, developing classes, etc.
- Design, develop, and implement accounting policies and procedures to increase financial controls, improve efficiency of financial operations, and help us scale
- Prepare monthly/quarterly/annual financial reports and deep-dive variance analyses
- Manage all of accounts payable including approval of invoices and employee expense reports, payments to vendors, resolving issues and inquiries, etc.
- Oversee the payments to the individual care providers on our platform
- Manage all accounts receivable including invoicing customers, tracking payments/aging, etc.
- Oversee all tax including annual 1099 process, filing of federal/state/city tax returns, and processing international filings
- Provide support to internal customers as needs arise (ad-hoc financial analysis, and special projects, etc.)
- Partner with the Product and Engineering teams on product enhancements and drive forward on process automation
Who You Are
- 8+ years of accounting experience (public accounting and startup experience preferred)
- CPA or progress towards one
- Strong Excel skills with the ability to quickly manipulate and analyze large data sets, build reports, etc.
- Ability to work with various stakeholders throughout the company to build and refine processes
- Experience with various accounting systems (e.g., NetSuite)
- Strong understanding of GAAP and accounting theory
- Humble, scrappy, and thrive in fast-paced environments
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Stipend towards mental health benefits
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Awesome office with snacks and catered lunch in the Financial District
- Generous parental leave policy
- Unlimited career growth opportunity