Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
Modern Health’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
This role will report to the VP of Engineering. This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You'll Do-
- Collaborate extensively with product engineers, product managers, and designers to effectively deliver the next generation of product features
- Provide technical guidance as you balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Grow individuals in their careers and provide guidance to allow your team to thrive while delivering with quality
- Help your team to thrive in the face of ambiguity by bringing clarity to feature development and longer term KPI improvements
- Work with senior leadership to set a strategic 6+ month direction based upon key business metrics
Who You Are-
- You are a passionate and confident leader that takes pride and ownership in the work you do.
- You have experience leading cross functional product engineering teams focused on shipping with quality
- You have a clear understanding of business metrics, are are able to identify and scope product feature work to maximize the business impact
- You have a bias to action. You take the best available data to justify your actions and opinions and make decisions that move the business forward.
- You have experience with architectural patterns and anti-patterns of building scalable consumer applications.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and helping others meet their goals
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, product managers, and engineers is no problem for you.
- You can mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members.
- You have expertise in growing teams: you’ve recruited great engineers of multiple disciplines while ensuring a successful, supportive onboarding experience
- 1+ years of engineering management experience
- 4+ years of engineering experience
- AWS: ECS and cloud hosting
- Gitlab: CI/CD
- Python: Django, Flask, aiohttp
- Data: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Monitoring: Datadog and Sentry
- IaC: Terraform, Packer
Bonus points if you have experience in-
- Working at a high growth startup
- Working on SaaS software
- Working in Health Tech
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance (Modern Health offers 100% coverage for employees and 75% of dependent insurance premiums)
- High deductible health plan option with health savings account
- Modern Health product or equivalent cost of external care
- Flexible PTO
- Company-wide mental health days
- Unlimited career growth opportunity
- Parental leave policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial planning through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Cell Phone Reimbursement
- Mental Wellness Benefit
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- Natural Disaster Relief Stipend
- Mod Squad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more!
[Colorado Candidates] You can find the Colorado base bay range and benefits information here.