About Modern Health
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first solution to cover the full spectrum of mental well-being needs through both evidence-based digital content and professional support from a global network of certified coaches or therapists all in one comprehensive app. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all of their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company, backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 220+ global companies like Lyft, SoFi, Pixar, Gusto, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status. We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission.
In 2020 we tripled our employee headcount, doubled our customer base and grew our revenue 10x. As a hyper-growth company we have maintained our people-first culture winning awards including Fortune’s Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021 and maintaining an employee retention rate of 99.97% and an overall Glassdoor rating of 4.9 out of 5.
An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you’re excited about this role, we’d love to hear from you!
Modern Health’s engineering team is growing rapidly, and we are looking for engineering managers to help us scale. Our engineers are smart, flexible, and love solving difficult challenges. They look to their managers for organizational transparency, career development, mentorship, and honest feedback. They move fast and ship code to production continuously, relying on their leadership to increase productivity by removing obstacles and keeping processes lean.
As managers, our job is to keep teams efficient and executing on the right goals. We build teams that are inclusive, helpful, and have a strong sense of ownership for the things they build.
This role will report to the VP of Engineering and is based in San Francisco, CA.
- Collaborate extensively with product engineers, product managers, and designers to effectively deliver the next generation of product features
- Provide technical guidance as you balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly.
- Grow individuals in their careers and provide guidance to allow your team to thrive while delivering with quality
- Help your team to thrive in the face of ambiguity by bringing clarity to feature development and longer term KPI improvements
- Work with senior leadership to set a strategic 6+ month direction based upon key business metrics
- You are a passionate and confident leader that takes pride and ownership in the work you do.
- You have experience leading cross functional product engineering teams focused on shipping with quality
- You have a clear understanding of business metrics, are are able to identify and scope product feature work to maximize the business impact
- You have a bias to action. You take the best available data to justify your actions and opinions and make decisions that move the business forward.
- You have experience with architectural patterns and anti-patterns of building scalable consumer applications.
- You enjoy solving complex problems and helping others meet their goals
- You are a strong communicator. Explaining complex technical concepts to designers, product managers, and engineers is no problem for you.
- You can mentor and guide the professional and technical development of your team members.
- You have expertise in growing teams: you’ve recruited great engineers of multiple disciplines while ensuring a successful, supportive onboarding experience
- 1+ years of engineering management experience
- 4+ years of engineering experience
- AWS: ECS and cloud hosting
- Gitlab: CI/CD
- Python: Django, Flask, aiohttp
- Data: PostgreSQL, Redis
- Monitoring: Datadog and Sentry
- IaC: Terraform, Packer
Bonus points if you have experience in:
- Working at a high growth startup
- Working on SaaS software
- Working in Health Tech
- 100% coverage for Medical / Dental / Vision
- Mental health resourcing via Modern Health
- 401k plan
- Flexible PTO
- Passionate team dedicated to making a positive impact
- Generous parental leave
- Unlimited career growth opportunity