About Modern Health
Modern Health is on a mission to change how people think about mental health. There is no one size fits all solution for mental health, and that’s why Modern Health covers the modern employee’s every personal and professional need through both evidence-based technology and support from a coach or therapist. Modern Health is the first mental well-being platform for companies that helps all employees be happy and healthy.
Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, we guide people to the right care at the right time and help companies save money in engagement and healthcare costs. We are venture-backed and have raised over $11M from top VC's including Kleiner Perkins, Y Combinator, Afore, and Precursor Ventures. We are building a world-class team to make a positive impact and improve the way people live. Are you mission driven and motivated to make a change? We'd love to hear from you.
We value diversity — in backgrounds and experiences. Mental health is a universal concern, and we need people from all backgrounds and swaths of life to help build the future of healthcare. Modern Health's engineering team is growth-oriented and compassionate. We are deliberate and self-reflective about the kind of engineering team and culture that we are building, seeking engineers that are not only strong in their own aptitudes but care deeply about supporting each other's growth.
We're looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to join our team. The role is a mix of technical leadership & people management. This role will initially report to our co-founder and Chief Science Officer. The primary responsibility of an Engineering Manager at Modern Health is to build and foster strong teams of engineers. As an EM, you are expected to empower people on the team to take ownership of problems and provide direction and group growth. We expect you to develop Modern Health’s engineering team by being thoughtful with how our group is growing together, and to make sure we’re investing in everyone’s career development.
- Infrastructure - AWS, ECS Microservices
- API - Python, Django, Flask, aiohttp, GraphQL
- Data - PostgreSQL, Redis
- Frontend - React, Rematch
- Mobile - React Native
- CI/CD - GitLab
- IAC - Terraform
- Monitoring - Datadog, Sentry
You would be a great fit for this job if you value...
- People -- You care about people and organizational behavior and systems. You get excited by championing and enabling a team to grow in diverse ways as an organization scales. You have a genuine passion for management.
- Technical -- You are excited by big, complicated problems and you try to solve them with pragmatic, well-engineered and well-articulated solutions. You have a natural intellectual curiosity that drives you to find out how things work and if they can work better.
- Process -- You enjoy working in a fast-paced and iterative environment, defining and owning processes that adapt to our larger goals. You can bring clarity to ambiguity while remaining open-minded to new information that might change your mind in the future.
- Empowering others to lead -- You believe that that leadership is created across an entire team to own a process and not just through one person, so you mindfully create the space and opportunity to empower individuals.
You should get in touch if you have...
- Management experience -- You either have:
- formal experience as an engineering manager and building engineering teams at scale, or
- a proven track record of serving as a successful tech lead, mentor, or leader that has provided support to individual contributors.
- A software engineering mindset -- You have a background in software engineering (5+ years as an engineering individual contributor).
- Strong decision-making skills -- You have a track record of demonstrating an ability to clearly articulate technical tradeoffs and select optimal, iterative solutions to solve technical problems at a fast-growing company.
- A cross-functional & communicative attitude -- Experience working with another “support-first” or customer-facing department (i.e. Operations) in addition to product-related engineering is required.
- A strong belief that company culture is the key to success -- You can give clear examples of initiating cultural additions at a previous company (i.e. setting up an internship or D&I program, participated in community technical talks, etc.)
Bonus points if you have experience in...
- Our stack (see above).
- Certified Scrum Master & strong Agilist processes -- you are skilled at balancing best practices, experiments, and flexibility to suit the situation.
- Being empathetic -- open to learning from others, humble, willing to experiment and try new ways of working.
- Experience working in Health Tech or HR (but, not required!)
- Public speaking and giving presentations.