Modern Animal’s Learning & Development team focuses on programs that develop great leaders from within. We work closely with stakeholders across the business to enable our mission of bettering the lives of animals by building a place that is better for all of us who love them and achieving our goal of becoming a great place to work for all employees. Additionally, we enable company-wide transformation through strategic change management initiatives.
We take becoming a great place to work very seriously at Modern Animal and believe that one of the ways that we can accomplish this is by developing our leaders at all levels. This role will be responsible for building out a strategic plan and team to support leadership development, enable brilliant skills-based training, and establish mentorship & development opportunities for all employees to participate and grow in their careers.
This person must be excited to roll their sleeves up to build the strategy, team, and materials from the ground up. This role will report to the Head of People.
What the the role entails:
- Build and lead the team that manages and develops end-to-end leadership development programs for all employees, including behavior-based skills, a mentorship program, and career development.
- Create a scalable continuing education and mentorship strategy that support career development for all employees - focusing on our Doctors and Care Team to start.
- Execute a company-wide learning needs assessment, through leveraging existing Modern Animal data and conducting surveys, interviews, and focus groups. Apply key insights and external best practices/research to inform learning program content and delivery strategies.
- Lead RFP and implementation of a companywide learning management software that can scale with the business over time.
- Use instructional design expertise to help develop new programming and improve existing programs to meet the needs of the business.
- Develop and launch a consistent and aligned evaluation strategy and metrics for all leadership development programs.
- Work cross-functionally to solve complex, company-wide organizational challenges and design solutions that are tailored to business needs and can be scaled across the organization.
- Build strong relationships and influence stakeholders to ensure alignment of leadership development program goals with strategic business goals and outcomes.
- Partner with the Finance team to create and monitor the leadership development budget and execute regular reporting to Learning & Development and Learning leadership.
Why you'd be a good fit:
- A minimum of 10 years of broad experience in human resources and organization development. Prior experience working with an hourly & distributed workforce is required.
- At least 3-5 years of advanced knowledge in leadership development, learning program management, instructional design, and internal or external consulting.
- 3+ years managing a team of direct reports.
- Experience in the veterinary or medical profession is a bonus!
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in related field (e.g. Organizational Development, Industrial/Organizational Psychology, Human Resources, MBA) strongly preferred.
- Experience managing complex projects with aggressive timelines; demonstrated ability to be organized and show attention to detail, meet deadlines, and keep everyone informed of project status in a proactive way.
- Results Leadership: Demonstrated ability to handle multiple competing priorities with the ability to drive for results. Quick learner who can come up to speed quickly and use experience and judgment to make progress. Ability to solve complex, undefined problems. Can gather data, consider employee needs, ask the right questions, conduct root cause analysis, and use data to develop a point of view.
- Thought leadership: Demonstrated ability to bring strategic and innovative thought to established practices, programs, and processes.
- Team Leadership: Thrives in a collaborative environment and has a proven record of excellent stakeholder management. Ability to successfully engage with all leaders from the executive level to individual contributors. Ability to think strategically to build, scale, and lead a department that will grow over time.
- Self Leadership: Inspires confidence and can effectively get buy-in from team members and stakeholders in HR and the business. Self-directed and can make progress with limited information or direction. Can be agile and flexible.
- Has strong written communication skills and can tailor presentations to audiences at different levels. Can effectively facilitate learning programs and team meetings.
- Has successful experience managing vendors and specific knowledge of vendors in the learning field.
What you can expect from us:
- Excellent medical, vision, & dental coverage with various options to choose from
- 401k savings plan with a company match
- Flexible time off & paid parental leave
- Free membership to Modern Animal for your pets and discounts on extra services
- Free membership to One Medical for primary care
- Access to behavioral and mental health services through Ginger
- WFH stipends to help you set up your home office while we build out an office
- A collaborative team who has your back and will welcome you as part of our pack