Location: Mode is a remote-first company with cross-functional teams based throughout the US and India.
Data-driven companies win. We've built Mode from the ground up to be the best analytics platform for Analysts and Data Scientists. As we've grown, an increasingly broad audience—people on teams from Finance to Operations, Marketing to Engineering, and everything in between—has begun to use Mode to collaborate with analysts and use data in everyday decisions. For our 600+ customers, Mode is the central place where data experts and domain experts can come together to make sense of data at the rapid pace of business today.
As one of Mode’s early accounting hires on a growing team, you will make an immediate impact on Mode’s rapid growth as you build best practices into our accounting function. You’ll have the support of the entire Accounting and Finance team as you grow and develop within the role.
The Accounting and Finance team combines analytical and strategic thinking to help everyone at Mode make better, data-driven decisions and ensure a sound financial future. We complement and support all departments at Mode across several critical areas, including finance, accounting, and sales operations.
What you'll do
- Own Month end close, including preparation of consolidated financial statements
- Lead the general accounting function
- Oversee the general accounting function, which includes intercompany accounting, cash management/reconciliation, fixed assets and accounts payable
- Ensure that the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close is accurate and timely
- Supervise the timely quarterly and annual tax filings
- Work closely with the Accounting team and proactively flag skill gaps to help determine growth opportunities for the team
- Participate in the annual audit by fielding auditor’s questions and providing appropriate support
- Assist in monitoring relevant US GAAP and SEC developments to ensure policies and procedures are compliant with current standards
- Research technical accounting issues for US GAAP, prepare policy memorandums and institute policies to support compliance with US GAAP
- Define and document internal control procedures
- Provide support to any special or ad‐hoc projects and drive automation of processes
- Lead integration related activity tied to acquisitions
- Participate in the annual audit by fielding auditor’s questions and providing appropriate support for process related questions
- Experience with Netsuite and with ERP system implementation is a plus
What we look for
- BS or BA in Accounting
- CPA Certification (preferred)
- Minimum of 5 years of combined public accounting and private industry accounting experience within multinational business
- Hands on Experience with purchase accounting
- Strong technical accounting background with a thorough knowledge of US GAAP, FASB codification and SEC reporting standards, as well as experience with technical research and preparation of accounting memorandums
- Ability to clearly and concisely document and effectively communicate complex accounting and reporting issues to finance and non-finance personnel
- Highly effective communication skills (verbal and written)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, multi-task efficiently and manage individuals
- Detail oriented, with high level of ethics and integrity
- Alignment with Mode's values
- Bonus: Experience working in finance or operations at a SaaS company
- Bonus: Experience in the data analytics space, knowledge of SQL, R, and/or Python
- Bonus: Experience with industry-standard accounting software (i.e. Xero, Bill.com)
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions. In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules — we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.
The compensation range for this role is $130,000-$140,000 to be determined by level.