Mode is a remote-first company with cross-functional teams based throughout the US. We welcome applicants from all 50 states. Employees based in the San Francisco area also have the option to work out of our office as desired.
Mode is a powerful, collaborative analytics platform designed by and for, analysts. Equipped with tightly integrated SQL, Python, and interactive data visualization tools, analysts use Mode to turn data into actionable insights in one, central location. Simple sharing tools let people throughout your organization access dashboards tailored to their needs and explore underlying data on their own. With everyone analyzing and collaborating on consistent data within the same platform, every department is able to quicken the pace at which they make brilliant decisions.
As a Staff Engineer on our Back-End Services team, you will be integral to guiding the design and architecture of the product to achieve next-generation goals. You will work closely with fellow engineers and PMs to identify opportunities for improvement, growth and collaboration. This is a highly impactful role where you’ll serve the team directly through technical guidance, design and mentoring, while also reaching beyond the team to help align the engineering organization on best practices and a cohesive architecture.
What you’ll do
- Serve as a technical leader, learn from others and teach those around you
- Work with leadership to determine project priorities and asses project impact from a technical perspective
- Design, develop, and maintain core services within Mode’s distributed system
- Collaborate across the engineering & product organization to identify and resolve system bottlenecks / hotspots and enhance overall system performance & reliability
- Maintain development practices that let us move fast with quality
- Conceptualize and execute on features within distributed systems
- Set and maintain SLO’s using strong service principles
What we look for
- A passionate technologist, able to learn new technologies thoroughly and quickly in order to provide guidance on benefits and risks
- Demonstrated experience developing performant and resilient back-end distributed systems, and instrumentation of system performance and reliability
- Experience working with service-oriented architectures — Docker and Terraform experience is a plus
- Fluency in Java 8+
- Someone who enjoys sharing knowledge and leveling up colleagues
- Experience with testing, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
- Experience leading technical implementation of complex projects
- Alignment with Mode's values
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here. #BI-Remote