Mode is a remote-first company with cross-functional teams based throughout the US. We welcome applicants from all 50 states. Employees based in the San Francisco area also have the option to work out of our office as desired.
Mode is a powerful, collaborative analytics platform designed by and for, analysts. Equipped with tightly integrated SQL, Python, and interactive data visualization tools, analysts use Mode to turn data into actionable insights in one, central location. Simple sharing tools let people throughout your organization access dashboards tailored to their needs and explore underlying data on their own. With everyone analyzing and collaborating on consistent data within the same platform, every department is able to quicken the pace at which they make brilliant decisions.
As a Back-End Java Engineer at Mode, you'll work closely with other Engineers & PM's. You'll focus on the core technology to power Mode in its current state, as well as help envision, plan, and implement the future state that will power the Mode platform. Your work will impact the way our customers understand and share their data. As a member of the Mode team, you'll also be a steward of our values.
What you’ll do
- Design, develop, and maintain core services within Mode’s distributed system
- Collaborate across the engineering & product organization to identify and resolve system bottlenecks / hotspots and enhance overall system performance & reliability
- Serve as a technical leader, learn from others and teach those around you
- Work with leadership to determine project priorities and assess project impact from a technical perspective
- Maintain development practices that let us move fast with quality
- Conceptualize and execute on features within distributed systems
- Set and maintain SLO’s using strong service principles
What we look for
- Fluency in Java 8+
- Experience working with service-oriented architectures — Docker and Terraform experience is a plus
- Demonstrated experience developing performant and resilient backend distributed systems, and instrumentation of system performance and reliability
- Experience monitoring and debugging distributed systems
- Strong experience in building and maintaining data centric infrastructure
- Experience with testing, continuous integration, and continuous deployment
- Experience leading technical implementation of complex projects
- Alignment with Mode's values
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.
The compensation range for this role is $139,500-$225,000 to be determined by level.