Location: Anywhere in the US. Our engineering team is fully distributed
Salary range: $125,000-$225,0000
Data-driven companies win. Mode provides the tools to make companies data-driven. Data analysts quickly answer business questions using data in a comprehensive, cloud-based toolchain. Business users can understand and explore their company’s data in our world-class visualization product. By serving both analysts and business users, Mode provides the complete solution for data-driven companies.
Mode’s visualization team is a critical part of this mission. The team has a dual mandate. First, we’re responsible for developing the shared libraries that constitute the core of our visual encoding, data modeling, and rendering systems. Secondly, we’re responsible for implementing new visualization features and tools based on the needs of the businesses who use Mode every day.
Engineering at Mode
Come work with a diverse and deeply experienced team. We have colleagues from companies like Google, Tableau, SAS, Apple, Facebook, Glassdoor and many more. Read about our key engineering values.
Engineers at Mode work in small, cross-functional teams that own specific products and act with high autonomy. We value open discussion, collaboration and engineering excellence.
- Our services are written in Java and Golang
- Our proprietary data engine Helix caches, manages and queries customer data
- Our infrastructure is ECS Fargate containers on AWS, managed with Terraform
- Own our visual encoding, data modeling, and rendering libraries
- Ensure that our visualization systems are meeting our customers’ reliability, functionality, and performance expectations
- Collaborate closely with the product, design, and analytics teams to identify areas where we can develop new visualization features and functionality
- Define and maintain development practices that help us build more quickly and confidently
- A full stack implementor - you want to work across the entire stack from theory to implementation
- A systems builder - you want to work on identifying abstract patterns and structures that we can apply to solve a wide array of real-world problems
- Expertise in encoding based visualization systems such as Vega-Lite, Tableau, ggplot2, etc.
- Experience working with web-focused 2d rendering technologies such as Vega, d3, SVG, etc.
- Professional experience shipping production software in at least one programming language
- Proficiency with TypeScript, our primary visualization systems language, is a plus
- Alignment with Mode's values
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. For California residents please review our CCPA Privacy Notice linked here.