As Mode's first accounting hire, you will make an immediate impact on Mode's rapid growth as you build best practices into our accounting function. In this role, you will take full ownership and grow the team as the company scales. You'll have the support of our outside accounting team as you build out controls and processes to set Mode up for scale.
The operations team combines analytical and strategic thinking to help everyone at Mode make better, data-driven decisions and ensure a sound financial future. We complement and support all departments at Mode across a number of critical areas, including: finance, accounting, and sales operations.
What you'll do
- Prepare financial statements in accordance with regulatory requirements, to ensure an accurate and timely month-end close and offer actionable insights to our business leaders
- Partner with Sales Operations to implement and maintain operating metrics and variable compensation plans for the sales and account management teams
- Manage our core operational finance and accounting needs, including accounts payable, customer receivables, cash management, and travel & expense policies and reimbursement
- Work with our external back office to ensure receivables are collected and reported correctly
- Develop internal controls and processes that will scale as Mode grows beyond 100 people across multiple offices
Help forecast Mode's growth in order to enable better resourcing decisions
What we look for
- A bias to action — You've built systems and processes from scratch before, and are excited to help lay the foundation for a new function
- Organizational skills and attention to detail — You will chase down numbers to the second decimal place
- Partnership mentality — You're excited to work cross-functionally and learn how to best support different departments
- Self-starter — You are comfortable identifying and executing the highest priority projects, but know when to escalate or ask for help
- Excellent communication skills - You present clear and well-documented work that can be easily followed by a third-party. You can make financial results digestible and are comfortable in one-on-one meetings to through all-hands presentations
- Mix of finance and accounting experience - You have a CPA or M.Acc, experience working in public accounting and in-house at an early-stage SaaS company
- Experience with accounting and ERP software — You are very comfortable working with industry standard accounting software. We currently we use Xero and Recurly, but we expect to grow into an ERP as we scale.
Mode is a collaborative analytics platform that brings teams together around data to make game-changing decisions.
In everything we do, we strive to put the people we do it for first. This starts internally: together we're building a culture that embraces diversity and learning, humility and gratitude. At the same time, we try not to take ourselves too seriously and strive for a healthy balance between work and personal pursuits.
Benefits you can expect as a Mode employee:
- Generous, flexible PTO and family leave
- Flexible work schedules—we trust you to know what will make yourself most productive
- Generous professional development policy that includes funds earmarked for each employee's discretionary professional growth—Have a conference you want to attend? A class you want to take? If it's helping take your career to the next level, it's on us.
- Excellent health coverage for team members and their families (Mode pays the 100% of the premiums)
- Supportive work environment and a manager who is focused on your professional growth
- Company events that highlight our team's passions and hobbies
- Snacks and in-office lunches shared at our ever-growing lunch table
Mode is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcome people from all backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.