Moda Operandi is looking for a Director of Engineering to join our technology department, and manage infrastructure for our supply chain systems. In this position, you will work closely with members of the Product team while overseeing a team of engineers to build new product features and improvements. In addition to defining the tech roadmap, the Director of Engineering will also be responsible for growing our engineering team, and defining best practices.
You’ll Get To:
- Manage full-stack software engineering teams to craft highly available, resilient, and scalable solutions
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best engineering talent.
- Continuously improve software engineering practices
- Encourage innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Lead efforts to deploy new and existing applications into AWS environments
- Break existing monolithic applications into micro service architectures and build new microservices
- Adroitly prioritize tech-debt pay-down projects as well as larger strategic initiatives
- Act as a key member of our technology leadership team helping to define and influence architecture, development, release, and infrastructure decisions
- Establish KPIs that help measure application stability and performance, quality of overall software solutions and engineering team productivity
- Help drive adoption and best-practice usage of Agile practices
- Serve as key partner to our Product Management team, advising on technical implementations, removing impediments and ensuring software engineering team productivity
- Hold our software engineering team accountable for execution of best practices; overall solution quality and performance; and management of technical debt
- Help build the Moda Tech brand and culture, both internally and externally
- 7+ years hands-on software development experience
- 4+ years’ experience in managing software development teams, including multiple teams at a time and/or leads of those teams
- Experience with the digital side of supply chain and warehouse operations
- A commitment to fully-encapsulated teams that own all parts of the software development lifecycle, from dev to test to prod, and utilizing best-practice techniques around code review, CI/CD, automation, and infrastructure-as-code
- An Agile way of working and prioritization
- A high sense of ownership, both individually and in the teams under you
- A history of embracing and incubating emerging technology and open source products
- The ability to motivate teams and guide them through their career development
- Experience in building both teams and products that scale
- Eagerness to collaborate across both Tech and Moda as a whole
- Excitement to drive culture internally, and promote that culture externally
- A deep understanding of modern web applications and API design; experience with issues related to scale, security, availability, deployment, and server maintenance
- Strong technical knowledge in one or more of: AWS, Scala, MySQL, event-driven systems
- The ability to learn anything you don't already know to get the job done
About the Engineering Team
The retail space is one of the most rapidly changing industries today, and Moda stays at the forefront of those moves because of its innovative engineering team. They’re working on some of the biggest advances in tech right now: artificial intelligence, big data analysis, machine learning, and customized, innovative tools. The entire tech stack is built in-house, using the latest tools and frameworks.
Moda is a young startup with a dynamic culture, engineers at the company can have an oversized impact with their work – advancing not only Moda’s technology, but the retail industry as a whole. Engineers aren’t told how they should implement new features — Moda has created a great culture for self-driven experimentation, innovation, and fresh ideas.
About Moda Operandi:
Moda Operandi is an e-commerce platform transforming the way people discover and shop for designer fashion. Through its innovative mix of commerce and content, Moda allows women and men to shop for what’s new and what’s next in designer fashion from the world’s leading emerging designers and luxury brands. Founded in 2010, Moda Operandi's mission is to make it easy for designers to grow their businesses and consumers to realize their personal style. Today, Moda’s platform carries more than 1,000 brands and designers across fashion, fine jewelry and home, ships to 125 countries, and has raised nearly $300M in funding from top-tier global investors.