Looking for an innovative, creative, passionate, and fun company in OC? Then, let us introduce ourselves. We are MobilityWare and we make fun for a living! Our mobile games have been rocking the app store since its inception and we regularly show up in top lists for most popular games. We recently reached over 350 million downloads across our portfolio of games!
We've been voted 2015, 2016, 2017 & 2018 Best Places to Work in Orange County by the Orange County Business Journal and OC Register! Headquartered in Irvine, CA., our flagship game, Solitaire, was released on the day the App Store opened in 2008. Other titles include Blackjack, FreeCell, Destination Solitaire and Spider Solitaire, to name a few. Our vision is to create the most exciting mobile games and have fun doing it.
MobilityWare is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled Senior Narrative Designer. In this role, you will manage and work closely with external writers to focus on helping develop narrative direction across key stories within the game system and make sure each storyline has compelling story beats that make up a best-in-class narrative game experience. You will also pre-plan for upcoming content insertion into the game. The Narrative Game Designer will work hand-in-hand with the Sr Game Designer to chop up the over-arching stories to fit elegantly into multiple game mechanics. You will be responsible for building out diagrams and game flow layouts that clearly map out the story arc of the game and break points that tie into specific game mechanics.
You have a strong desire to create compelling choices with narrative branching that may lead to different outcomes. You care about using your skills to champion the storytelling elements with overall player progression pacing, mechanic choices and overall player reward, etc. You’ll work closely with other writers and the Art team to craft exciting interactive narratives that appeal to our target demographic.
- Champion the story and script and writing of the overall product as the narrative vision holder.
- Design and maintain multiple story arc’s that keep the player engaged and wanting more, while also thinking about how to expand it over time.
- Create player choice branches within the story and multiple chapters that enhance the narrative, creating experience.
- Manage and partner with professional writers to create interactive experience that is emotionally engaging.
- Collaborate with the artists and other game designers to design new and better elements that will yield engaging sequences that tie back to the narrative experience.
- 5+ years narrative design experience for mobile/casual games.
- Excellent project management skills
- Experience writing clear and concise specs, user flows, and narrative scripts
- Good knowledge of the free-to-play business model and landscape
- Good relationship and influencing skills
- Good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively present ideas
- Results oriented, self-motivated and disciplined
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and logistics efficiently and effectively
- General knowledge of F2P system game design best practices.
- Good understanding of the mobile game market (platforms & trends).
- Personal experience playing mobile games is a plus
- Previous experience with live support/operations for games is a plus (mobile or online)
- Must be able to work well with others and to effectively manage others for execution results.
- Ability to work independently, to meet tight deadlines under pressure and to handle multiple duties at once while staying organized
The Payout (Why you should work for us)
- Awesome Perks: free lunch, free snacks, free drink, free Annual Company trip
- Casual workplace - yes, flip flops and shorts are pretty much an everyday thing
- Growth, growth, growth - we are growing and we would love for you to join us on the ride
- We also want to take care of our team so we've got profit sharing incentives, medical, dental (100% paid), vision (100% paid), Unlimited PTO/Vacation, life insurance (100% paid), and 401K
- Awesome office smack dab in the middle of OC and 2 minutes off the 5 freeway
- Amazing talent: We've got some heavy hitters from the industry who embody both brilliance AND humility