About Our Company
M.M.LaFleur is a female-founded womenswear company based in New York City. We believe the world is a better place when women succeed, so we celebrate the modern professional woman through our clothing, styling, and community. Our thoughtfully designed pieces are practical, comfortable, and beautiful, and we hope that when you wear them, you feel like the most polished and powerful version of yourself. Our goal is to take the work out of dressing for work—whether you’re heading to the office or telecommuting from home.
Who are we?
We're a group of go-getters who are passionate about reimagining the way women shop and dress for work. We get inspiration from our customers, and everything we design has a purpose and a human touch. We think big, but we sweat the details, and we take our work (but never ourselves) seriously. We’re steady but nimble, thanks to a whip-smart, energetic team that’s not afraid to be scrappy. We are perfectionists who sometimes spill on our clothes—we own our mistakes, turn challenges into growth, and evolve as we learn. We embrace ambiguity, celebrate weird ideas, and love a work in progress. We are kind but direct, and we practice Kizukai—a Japanese word that means “empathy in action.” We are incredibly proud of the team we’ve built, and we’re excited to continue evolving as we grow.
Our corporate office is located in lower Manhattan, but to prevent the spread of Covid-19, most of our positions are currently remote.
About the role
Welcome to a team where creativity meets data and beautiful designs turn into real product. Do we have your attention? M.M.’s merchandising and planning team is hiring for a Director of Buying & Planning. You will be leading a team of buyers and planners to drive inventory management and product planning strategies to achieve sales goals and gross margin benchmarks. You will be responsible for delivering tangible results and communicating status updates to senior executives.
What will you do?
- Lead a planning and buying team on the forefront of redefining how retail manages inventory
- Build detailed annual inventory plans & determine investment levels for all sales channels and categories
- Lead Open-to-Buy discussions and manage the budgeting process, partnering closely with Finance to align on seasonal investments, inventory strategies, and receipt flow
- Drive the buying process in identifying optimal SKU count, buy quantities and contribution of each category to total business, able to balance the needs of brand-elevating / fashion styles vs volume-driving / core styles
- Partner with Shopping Bag and Offline channel managers to determine the optimal assortment mix by market that will lead to achieving sales goals
- Own reporting & analytical projects to provide actionable insights & identify business opportunities
- Identify structural opportunities and implement processes that will lead to efficient and robust business management
- Represent the Merchandising voice on cross-functional projects, ensuring cross-departmental knowledge sharing and mutual goal setting
- Deliver well considered recommendations on strategies to push inventory, replenish or course-correct as necessary
- Partner with our Customer Experience, Logistics, Production, Merchandising & Marketing teams to deliver products to our customers in the right quantity, at the right time
- Provide forecasts to Production and Warehouse partners for appropriate factory and warehouse resource-allocation
- Present seasonal and core product investment strategies to the Executive Team
- Oversee a team of 2-3 planners, reporting into the VP of Merchandising & Planning
- Will be accountable for achieving Sell Through, Inventory Turn and average Supply targets
- Manage fabric consumption, plan out Kill Goods and estimate fabric reorder needs
- Determine liquidation strategies as needed
Who are you?
- An inspirational leader who can motivate colleagues and mentor direct reports
- An assertive team player who can work easily and seamlessly cross-functionally
- A strong communicator who can influence high-level decision making
- A passionate contributor who cares deeply about the quality of their work
- A sharp strategist who can identify problems and provide solutions quickly and effectively, thinking outside the box where necessarily
What skills do you have?
- BA/BS Degree with 8+ years of experience, preferably within a retail organization
- Advanced experience working within Excel
- SQL skills preferred but not required
- Strong (even obsessive) organizational qualities
- High levels of attention to detail and commitment to accuracy
- Ambition to succeed in a fast-paced start-up environment
- Ability to collaborate effectively with other teams
- A desire to innovate, break through norms, and do something different
- A passion for MM products and fulfilling the needs of our extraordinary customers
- Steadfast willingness and drive to “find a way”
- Previous experience in merchandising or distribution a plus