Principal Server Programmer
We are Media Molecule, a multi-award winning game developer and a proud member of the Playstation Studios family. We have a history of creating revolutionary games such as LittleBigPlanet, Tearaway and most recently, the BAFTA Award winning Dreams. It’s a fantastic time to join us as we embark on our next adventure, defining and executing the vision for our next ambitious project and settling into our spectacular, newly refurbished studio in central Guildford. We are now searching for a Principal Server Programmer to join our team.
Location: Our studio in Guildford or remote (able to work within the same timezone as the UK via video conferencing due to the need for close real-time collaboration).
Role: We are looking for an enthusiastic and creative individual to join our server team and work closely with cross discipline client-side teams to improve upon and scale new and existing server features.
What you’ll be doing:
- You will help to design, develop and support high performance online services.
- You will own and implement technical delivery of aspects of our backend server solutions.
- Assist with the deployment of new servers and monitor their operations after launch. Improve and iterate on low level networking systems.
- Complete profiling, performance analysis and performance tuning to ensure server and game performance goals are met.
- Team player with good communication skills.
- Good working knowledge of Go-lang and/or familiarity with C++.
- Excellent debugging and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
- Knowledge of common networking protocols and network security.
- Professional programming experience working as a server programmer developing distributed scalable systems.
- Experience with AWS, Docker, and Kubernetes and experience working in Windows and Linux environments.
- Experience building and maintaining online services for games at scale.
In return we offer the opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and social team, with a tip top benefits package including (but not limited to);
- Competitive salary & bonus scheme
- Contributory pension scheme, life assurance, income protection and access to a financial planning coach
- 25 days holiday and discretionary additional holiday days over summer and Christmas
- Flexible working practices (onsite, hybrid, UK remote, core hours – role dependent)
- Free lunches, snacks and refreshments on site
- Private health and dental insurance plus Online GP access
- Modern health EAP
- Free PS game codes and Sony product discounts
- Quarterly Mm wellbeing days
- Gymflex discount
- £250 annual personal development fund and access to our online learning library
- Enhanced maternity and paternity leave
- Menopause policy
- Volunteering opportunities
Media Molecule is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category. We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.