Mixpanel is the most advanced analytics platform ever built for mobile and web. We help companies build better products.
Our engineering team of 12 is currently handling 50K requests per second, 500+ servers, and over 20 billion data points per month.
Site Reliability Engineers at Mixpanel are primarily focused on reliability, automation, and physical infrastructure.
In this role you will:
- Diagnose and fix problems with physical hardware and/or software
- Automate tasks such as server configuration and deployment
- Build and maintain monitoring and alerting infrastructure
Our engineering culture:
- We do very thorough, line-by-line code reviews using GitHub pull requests. This keeps our code quality high and helps us learn.
- We try to have two people work together on every project (collaborating, not pairing). It's more fun and it results in better code.
- We practice rapid iteration. If it's better than live, we ship. We also build things so they can go live (whitelisted) long before launch day.
- We write tests for things that are mission-critical, prone to failure, or cause paranoia. Think billing and datastore code, not Django views.
- We care about learning. Right now we're reading through Advanced Programming in the Unix Environment.
- We currently have 9 vim users, 2 IntelliJ, and 1 emacs holdout.
What we are looking for:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline, or the equivalent
- At least 5 years experience as a Site Reliability Engineer or equivalent
- Experience running 100+ servers (preferably physical rather than virtual) either as the sole Site Reliability Engineer or as a technical leader in a team. You should be the person that people ask for help when they can't solve an operations problem.
- Fluency in python or the ability to learn it quickly. You should be comfortable writing code daily.
- Strong problem solving ability. You should be able to start with a symptom and methodically work through the problem until you find a root cause.
- Solid understanding of TCP/IP networking. You should know how and when to use tools like tcpdump, netstat, ethtool, etc.
- Extensive experience with Linux, especially debugging and performance analysis.
- US work authorization
Why join Mixpanel?
- We are profitable, with millions in monthly revenue and over 2,200 paying customers.
- Mixpanel is still a small company, but we are poised for great growth.
- Our product is used by companies like amazon.com, Dropbox, Intuit, OpenTable, and Salesforce.
- We've raised money from top-tier investors: Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, and Y Combinator.
- There are a lot of cool people here. You will like the people you work with.
Want to join?
What's the hardest operations problem you've ever diagnosed and solved? Explain it in your cover letter in as much detail as you would like.
Mixpanel is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity.