Mixpanel’s Product Engineering team is responsible for building Mixpanel’s core product, mobile apps and the backend services needed for powering the product.
Following are just a few examples of the backends that power the Mixpanel product:
- Web Servers and APIs - Mixpanel’s Web Servers and APIs are some of the most critical services at Mixpanel.
- Notifications - Users can send notifications (Push, Email, SMS, WebHooks) to a targeted set of end-users, set up variants for notifications, and measure what effect the notifications or variants are having.
- Decide - The Decide backend is responsible for serving all requests for A/B testing, in-app notifications and surveys coming in from all devices that have the Mixpanel SDK installed.
- Live View - Users can see events flowing in real time using Live View. This is very powerful functionality that our users love.
All of the services get a very high volume of requests, ranging from tens of millions to hundreds of millions per day. Most services are written in Python, and there are some (new ones) that are written in Golang.
The teams in Product Engineering are vertical teams that own the frontend as well as backend for their part of the product. You will be working as a backend engineer on one of these vertical teams.
You will be working on:
- Building new services that use databases, queues, caches and other services
- Adding capabilities to existing services to support new product needs
- Improving reliability of the services
- Scaling the services by orders of magnitude
You will be working with:
- World-class engineers that come from companies like Facebook, Twitter, Google, LinkedIn and Dropbox and universities like MIT, Stanford and CMU
- Ego-free, friendly and helpful people
- Over 4 years of experience building, maintaining and operating large scale services / backend systems
- A deep understanding of distributed systems
- A passion for building great products
- A sense of ownership to ensure quality
- Strong problem solving ability and attention to detail
- Mastery of at least one programming language
The Tao of Mixpanel Engineering:
- Have empathy for each other. We’re all in this together, assume good intentions.
- Listen to people’s ideas. Seek the truth, don’t just fight for your idea.
- Demonstrate ownership and demand autonomy.
- Have a strong bias to action. Get something working first and then iterate. When you’re pressed for time, cut scope, not quality.
- Work smarter, not harder. Prioritize ruthlessly. Dive deep and understand the problem. Know what success looks like. Be #DataDriven.
- Care about your craft. Always be learning.
Mixpanel is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records