Mixpanel helps businesses build better products with the most advanced analytics software for mobile and web. With almost 20,000 customers worldwide and 30% of the Fortune 100, Mixpanel has earned a reputation for creating a delightful customer experience and an innovative approach to analytics.
About the role:
We are seeking a motivated, self-starter to join Mixpanel’s legal team. You will be a seasoned privacy lawyer with product counseling experience who would serve as our Data Protection Officer, or have the background and interest to quickly grow into a DPO role. Your primary obligation will be to lead Mixpanel in its compliance obligations arising out of data protection laws and regulations globally, including the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the e-Privacy Regulation, other EU Member State laws, APEC Privacy Framework, and related product counseling. This position is based in Mixpanel’s San Francisco headquarters, and periodically report on substantive data protection matters to the company’s General Counsel and executive management.
- Thought leader for Mixpanel’s operations as necessary under data protection and privacy laws including GDPR, and continue to develop and update Mixpanel’s policies, guidelines, and product features with respect to data protection and privacy;
- Foster a culture of privacy compliance and privacy by design within the organization;
- Manage the company’s data flow map, record of processing operations, and key repositories of personal/customer data;
- Negotiate data protection agreements (DPAs), business associate agreements (BAAs), data privacy and security provisions in vendor agreements, and related documents;
- Lead discussions with the designated supervisory and other data protection authorities;
- Monitor and build compliance functions for proposed or upcoming global data protection laws and regulations, and assist with the ongoing modification, implementation, management, and monitoring of related policies, guidelines, and data protection awareness training;
- Provide legal and strategic leadership to support cross-functional projects across internal functions;
- If there is interest from the candidate, support legal projects in different functions, such as intellectual property, corporate compliance, and commercial contracts;
We’re looking for someone who:
- Positive, friendly and collaborative attitude while maintaining the highest standards of business and professional conduct;
- Strong work ethic and project management skills with ability to respond to requests quickly and with excellent attention to detail;
- Clear communicator with ability to distill complex issues in a simple manner in both writing and orally;
- Curious to learn Mixpanel’s technology and anticipate legal issues in the analytics space that could arise in various settings, with a record of partnering with the business in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment;
- A business-minded lawyer who is focused on execution, and comfortable making thoughtful, creative decisions on cutting-edge legal issues;
- Strong social skills required to become a trusted advisor for the legal team, our internal clients, and external customers and their negotiators/counsel;
- Qualification to practice law in the United States or an EU country;
- At least six (6) years of post-qualified experience working at an international law firm and in-house as well. More experienced candidates are encouraged to apply; and
- Fluency in English (written and oral) a must.
About our culture:
- Be Open: When knowledge becomes open, we can come together as a team to collaborate around a shared purpose.
- Customer Focus: Our customers’ success is our success.
- Lead Change: Everyone at Mixpanel has the capacity to make an impact on the business.
- Results Oriented: Driving results in a measurable way ensures we stay focused on the highest impact initiatives.
- One Team: We can’t win without each other.
Why choose Mixpanel?
A clear market leader in the product analytics space, Mixpanel raised $77M from world-renowned VC firms like Andreessen-Horowitz, Sequoia, and YC, and our revenue has grown significantly since then. Our ambitious, collaborative team makes it possible by finding creative solutions to new challenges with scaling, reliability, design,and customer service. Mixpanel has a rapidly growing team of 250+ in our offices in San Francisco, New York, Seattle, Salt Lake City, London, and Singapore.
Mixpanel is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity. We actively encourage women, people with disabilities, veterans, underrepresented minorities, and LGBTQ+ people to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.