Mixbook is an award-winning design platform giving consumers unrivaled creative freedom to design and share one-of-a-kind stories, transforming the lives of more than 6M people. Today, we are the #1 rated photo book service in the US with 26K 5-star reviews and a profitable, growing business. Customers love Mixbook for our powerful and intuitive editor, superb quality, designer themes, and our fanatical customer service.
Founded by two Inc 30 Under 30 entrepreneurs from UC Berkeley California, Mixbook has been featured on the Today Show, Good Morning America, TechCrunch, The Verge, Washington Post, New York Times, and many other global media outlets.
We are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Data & Software Engineer to join our team at Mixbook, where you'll have the opportunity to make a difference in the world of creativity and human connection. We're not just a workplace, but a community where innovation, risk-taking, and collaboration are at the core of our culture. If you're passionate about data and engineering, and want to be part of an exciting, fast-paced environment, we want to hear from you.
As our Senior Data & Software Engineer, you will have a solid grasp of software engineering principles, practices, frameworks, and methodologies. You'll be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining our database infrastructure to ensure it's scalable, secure, and optimized for performance. With an optimal experience of 4 years of experience as a Data Engineer and, preferably, 4 years of experience as a Software Engineer, you'll have a proven track record of success.
We expect this role to focus 60% on Data Engineering tasks, 30% on Software Engineering tasks, and 10% on DataOps.
*The split (%) between job responsibilities is subject to change based on business needs and requirements.
Our engineering team is based in Chişinău, Moldova, but this role can work remotely from anywhere in the GMT +1 or GMT +2 time zones.
What You’ll Do
- Data Engineering
- Designing databases with both front-end & back-end users and scale in mind.
- Constantly optimize queries for speed and performance.
- Provide slow query reports to engineering.
- Design and maintain database architecture, structures and relationships.
- Collaborate with developers and stakeholders to gather requirements, provide database support and optimize database solutions.
- Monitoring system performance and identifying problems that arise.
- Protecting the database against threats or unauthorized access.
- Certifying backup plans & procedures.
- Suggesting changes and improvements for database maintenance or protection.
- Picking the best hardware for current workload and adjusting it based on Wait Statistics.
- Software Engineer
- Interpreting and validating business insights drawn from the data. Being the bridge between data analysis and software development teams.
- Verify data integrity and discrepancies.
- Optimizing data reading and data access.
- Perform code reviews and internal initiatives to drive front-end & back-end goals within a dynamic technical environment.
- Actively participate in team development initiatives, trainings, and other events.
- Promote strong collaboration within a cross-functional team, including marketing, operations, design, and product management.
What You’ll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or another related college degree.
- A solid grasp of software engineering principles, practices, frameworks, and methodologies.
- Optimally, 4 years of experience as a Data Engineer.
- 4 years of experience as a Software Engineer, preferred.
- Proven experience with RDBMS (e.g. MySQL/Aurora, Oracle, MS SQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience with DataOps: data protection, data migration, data sanitization, data governance, back-up and recovery, database security.
- Database design & architecture.
- Understanding of SQL engines under the hood: Wait Statistics, Index Structures, Physical Execution Plan Internals, row format, allocation units, etc.
- Query planning and optimization.
- Proven experience with database table designs for a large and growing dataset.
- A track record of understanding and implementing measures to keep production data consistent, valid, and healthy.
- Understanding organization of data access and ORMs (e.g. Entity Framework, Hibernate, ActiveRecord, sequelize).
- Being able to analyze how data is produced and propose changes for it to provide a more clear business insight signal.
- Experience with MVC Frameworks (Rails, ASP.NET MVC, Spring MVC, Laravel) is a plus.
- Analytical mindset and good problem-solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Highly organized and responsible.
- Capable of working under pressure.
What You’ll Enjoy
- Market-leading salary and perks
- Being part of a small, efficient and inspiring engineering team
- Unlimited PTO policy and flexible schedule
- Personal budget for education and team building
- Frequent travel to the United States and/or other locations
Our mission is to empower people to be creative and connect deeply with the ones they love.
Unlike many growth companies, we have invested deeply in culture. Organizational health is central to our long-term strategy – we believe that when we love our people, they will love our customers, and our customers will love our business. We’ve adopted Patrick Lencioni’s principles from his book, “The Advantage”, and work diligently to foster a healthy environment - characterized by high morale + productivity, low turnover, and minimal politics + confusion. Our team is built on a foundation of vulnerability-based trust, engaging in constructive conflict, focusing on results and the following core values:
- Scrappy (Act like an entrepreneur)
- Caring (Heart of empathy)
- Craftsmanship (Spirit of excellence)
If you’re a candidate who values a healthy, thriving organizational culture and understands the importance of actively contributing to it, we invite you to apply.