Mission Lane is revolutionizing access to financial tools to pave a clear way forward for millions of Americans on the path to financial success. We strive to create solutions no one ever has before, to redefine the financial industry for the better. Sound like a mission you could get behind?
Mission Lane’s Data Science Team is looking for a Principal Data Scientist to join us.
You’ll be a successful Principal Data Scientist if:
- You’re personally motivated to help improve the financial health of the 100 million working-class Americans who live paycheck-to-paycheck
- You’ve created, deployed, and managed supervised learning models in production systems for vital applications
- You enjoy being a technical mentor. You share best practices for software engineering and can help smart, knowledgeable, data scientists with hard mathematical problems.
- You consider yourself a generalist data scientist and are more motivated by practical solutions than theoretical elegance
- You practice solid fundamentals with software engineering (test-driven development, code review, refactoring) and the PyData stack (numpy, scikit-learn, pandas, etc.)
- You can communicate, collaborate, compromise, and be sensitive to the needs of clients and your teammates
We are offering:
- A low-ego, respectful, data science team committed to solving practical problems together
- The chance to work at a company where data science is at the heart of the business and integral to both our day-to-day operation and our executive team’s strategic vision
- Flexible work hours and flexible work location (even after the pandemic)
- A generous parental leave policy
- Excellent opportunities for career growth, with both management and technical tracks for advancement
- A team that values learning and approaches work with a “growth mindset”
- A competitive salary, equity, and a full benefits package (health, dental, vision, 401k)
You might be particularly excited about the role if you want:
- To work on fairness, accountability, and transparency in machine learning (FAccT ML) or explainable AI (XAI)
- To find practical ways to apply modern innovations from diverse research areas like Causal Inference, Cost-Sensitive Machine Learning, and Time Series Classification
- To use distributed computing systems like Spark and Snowflake to manipulate data
If you’re excited about the role and aren’t sure if you meet all the requirements - we want you to apply anyway! We believe people can contribute to our team in a wide variety of ways and want to meet people who find meaning in our mission and our technical work compelling.
At Mission Lane, we’re looking for people who have the courage to take on new challenges. If you need accommodations to perform at your highest potential throughout the application and/or interview process, don’t hesitate to reach out.
We’re committed to ensuring our team members have balance in their lives. Our comprehensive benefits package* provides the support you need to thrive at work and at home.
- Work: An engaging culture with access to training programs and advancement opportunities
- Life: Full health, dental, and vision benefits, Flexible Spending Account (for medical and childcare expenses), paid parental leave, and a 401k Company Match
- Balance: Generous PTO, flexible schedules, a Calm App subscription, and more.
*Benefits may vary by location
More about Mission Lane:
Mission Lane is based in the U.S., with offices in Richmond, Virginia & San Francisco, California. Founded in December 2018, we’ve rapidly grown to almost 2 million customers.
It all started with a realization: nearly fifty percent of the adult population in the U.S. doesn’t have access to a clear line of credit. And by “clear” we mean credit without crazy fees that only increase debt. Most traditional credit card companies either overlook or overcharge this group because they have less-than-prime credit scores or no score at all. We decided this just wouldn’t do.
We understand that everyone doesn’t have the same opportunities. We also know that everyone joins us at different stages of their financial journeys. Providing access to clear credit was a critical first step, but our work isn’t done. We are actively developing new products designed to meet our customers where they are, according to their needs.
We get it - life happens. That’s why Mission Lane is hard at work paving a better way forward.
Just like for our customers, Mission Lane creates opportunities for our employees to learn, grow, and prosper. We strive to create an environment that brings out the best in everyone, everyday.
Mission Lane is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law.
Mission Lane is not currently sponsoring new applicant employment authorization for this position. And please, no third-party recruiters.