Do you enjoy actively contributing to collaborative team initiatives, and have a strong desire to learn and grow your knowledge base? Are you detail-oriented, with the ability to examine and understand business needs and deliver comprehensive financial reports while exceeding stringent expectations? Do you want to be challenged with exceptional analytical skills and data management in a tech-forward organization with a social justice mission?
Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is looking for a Finance Manager who wants an opportunity to contribute to an organization that sits at the forefront of economic justice work and leads with innovative and big ideas. From day one you’ll be challenged by exciting projects and you’ll get to work alongside the best and brightest at an organization that values hard work and employee well being. Your day-to-day work will be hands-on, and you’ll find yourself knee-deep in the organization’s key data; supporting the finance team in several vital tasks, providing crucial information to help inform the organization’s strategy, and implementing new features in our financial management technology. As part of a small and mighty staff, you will work closely with programs, operations, strategy, fundraising, technology, and other teams.
Our story: Mission Asset Fund (MAF) is a groundbreaking non-profit on a mission to create a fair financial marketplace for hardworking families. We’re a recognized nationwide leader in developing innovative and successful asset-building strategies and products that meet the fast-changing needs of our communities. A hybrid between a tech start-up and a nonprofit, MAF is a great place to work for both nonprofit or for-profit professionals who are interested in tech for social good and thrive in a fast-paced environment. The issues we are tackling are real and require dedication and urgency to be met head-on. At MAF, we work hard and care deeply about the clients we serve.
As MAF grows, we need a passionate Finance Manager to help us shape the future of scaling financial programs. This is a great opportunity for someone with passion and experience to help build financial power in low-income and immigrant communities and be part of a community and culture that is committed to social good.
An awesome place to work: This is a fully remote position with potential opportunities for regular meetups in our San Francisco office for local candidates. You will be working with a team that is ridiculously dedicated to the mission and fun to work with. We are extremely collaborative and embrace teamwork as a core value. As a nonprofit and tech startup, we attract people who like to jump in with both feet and who aren’t afraid of learning how to do better. Hailing from many different cultural and professional backgrounds, we are drawn together by a passion for embracing technology and creativity to make the world a better place for hardworking families.
Reports to: Finance Director
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, Business Administration or related field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years working in nonprofit accounting, including experience with general ledger double-entry accounting requirements, basic internal financial controls, and GAAP
- Managing external nonprofit financial audits including single audit requirements
- Proficiency with Excel, Salesforce CRM, and FinancialForce application, or competency to quickly master these tools.
- Affinity for working with new technologies and helping develop new systems and procedures
- Solid judgment in handling sensitive information in a confidential manner
- High detail orientation and ability to maintain near 100% accuracy
- Proficient in data interpretation and analysis
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, as well as with cross-functional teams and a multicultural workforce
- Demonstrated knowledge in spreadsheet and database applications
- Experience managing, maintaining, and reporting on data in complex financial technology systems
Accounting and Finance
- Perform financial management duties including generating financial data, compiling and submitting reports
- Lead the monthly, quarterly, and yearly close activities
- Work with the Finance Director to develop budgets and funding contracts, ensuring compliance with funding source requirements
- Prepare quarterly shared cost allocations to departments as per MAF policy and procedures
- Perform monthly account reconciliations, including bank accounts, donor receipts, and month-end close of the books and records
- Coordinate with the Finance Director to prepare month-end financial reports for the Leadership team; prepare financial information & other reports for the Board of Directors, funders & others
- Monitor all financial systems to ensure compliance with regulations and internal controls
- Work with the Finance Director to coordinate audit schedules and ensure adequate supporting documentation exists for audit purposes
- Monitor accounts payable, ensuring timely payments to consultants and vendors
- Maintain complete, accurate, and timely financial records in compliance with MAF’s policies and procedures
- Review and post payable invoices, sales invoices, and all journal entries ensuring that all A/P, A/R, cash, revenue, and expense transactions are entered and processed accurately and promptly in MAF's accounting software (FinancialForce)
- Assist with the development of annual, program, and departmental budgets
- Leverage emerging technologies and critical thinking skills to continually innovate and automate existing methodologies, processes, and reporting
- Support MAF’s Loan Servicing Manager in:
- Overseeing the full loan processing cycle, from loan origination until closing, in our cloud-based platform -- including scheduling ACH transactions and recording payments received, disbursements processed, and checks issued
- Create new cases (loan modification requests) and 2nd review of cases
- Ensuring that MAF remains in compliance with the most current lending and credit reporting standards
- Documenting, updating, and conducting trainings on policies and procedures
- Reviewing daily loan transactions prior to sending them to the bank for ACH processing
- Performing monthly bank reconciliation for our loan servicing bank accounts
- Manage Positive Pay in our bank account, including uploading files and resolving exceptions
- Preparing the monthly file to report participants to credit bureaus
- Performing weekly audits of the loan and grant subledger data, to assess cleanliness and identify system issues contributing to the error
- Own the process improvements in A/P, A/R & loan servicing, and participate in the functional design and testing of any system enhancements
- Communicate with system service providers (e.g. FinancialForce) to identify and resolve system failures, and create data entry procedures for new use cases
- Provide analysis to support improved efficiency and cost-effectiveness
- Maintain open and systematic communication with staff and partners
- Provide ad hoc operational support to the CEO/COO, as needed
- Lead special projects and perform other tasks as assigned by the Finance Director
Compensation and Benefits:
- This is a full-time position with an anticipated annual salary range of $85,000-90,000. Salary will be dependent on experience.
- We believe in work-life balance and are committed to keeping the workload in alignment with this value.
- We provide 20 days of Paid Time Off (160 hours)/year accrued for the first two years of full-time employment, and 13 paid holidays.
- We provide generous medical (HMO and PPO options), dental, vision, disability, life, flexible spending account, and AD&D insurance.
- We care about your financial future. We provide a matching 401K plan that is immediately vested. We will match up to 6% of your compensation/year.
- Commuter benefits & flexible savings accounts: pre-tax benefit accounts used to pay for expenses like healthcare or commuter expenses like parking, vanpool, public transit including train, subway, bus, and ferry.
Equal Opportunity Employment: Mission Asset Fund is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Mission Asset Fund does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnic background, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, or disability.
San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Deadline: Applications are processed on a rolling basis. The position will remain open until filled.
- No phone calls.
- Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- Do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers.