Mirantis is an open cloud company focused on harnessing open source innovation to help enterprise application owners to become free of infrastructure and operations concerns. The company employs a unique build-operate-transfer approach to deliver two distinct products:
- Mirantis Cloud Platform based on OpenStack and Kubernetes that helps services providers and enterprises run highly tunable private clouds powered by infrastructure-as-code and based on open standards.
- Mirantis Application Platform based on Spinnaker that helps enterprises adopt cloud-native continuous delivery to realize cloud ROI at scale.
To date, Mirantis has helped more than 200 enterprises and service providers build and operate some of the largest open clouds in the world. Its customers include iconic brands such as Adobe, AT&T, Comcast, Reliance Jio, State Farm, STC, Vodafone, Volkswagen, and Wells Fargo. Learn more at www.mirantis.com.
About Solution Architecture at Mirantis
When customers engage with Mirantis, it represents a unique opportunity to tackle new challenges across industries and technology domains. As the leader of the Solution Architecture team, your work is to build a world class team that can identify or create solutions for complex real-world problems through technical prowess, collaboration, versatility, and creativity. You and your team will work internally with product management, marketing, and engineering teams to define enhancements to our products, and you and your team will work in lockstep with Sales to communicate Mirantis product vision, features and value while anticipating and mitigating potential obstacles.
The Global Director, Sales Engineering position offers candidates expansive opportunities for professional growth across a variety of business and technology domains. You will play a key role as leader in the field and contribute internally to an organizational culture that deeply values transparency, performance, development, creativity, collaboration, and trust.
As Global Director, Sales Engineering, you will provide leadership, management and direction to your Global team of Solution Architects who support our prospects and customers during the sales process. This is a very integral role within a high growth organization. Working closely with the Sales leadership, the leader of Solution Architects will assist with the design and implementation of the mission, strategy, sales process, and tactics for the Global Sales organization. Engagement and collaboration with the Mirantis Global Delivery team, Engineering team, and Partner OEMs and resellers will be critical.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead and direct a team of Solution Architects
- Participate in recruitment and hiring of future Solution Architects.
- Train, mentor and develop your team.
- Direct and participate in technical sales activities.
- Help in running Proof of Concepts.
- Participate in pre-sales analyses, development of technical content for bids and sales proposals, on-site product presentations, demonstrations, etc.
- Become an expert in the Mirantis product offering and competitive environment.
- Contribute to competitor knowledge databases.
- Ensure customer information databases are updated correctly and timely.
- Provide feedback of customer responses and suggestions to the appropriate internal Mirantis teams.
- Develop and bring forward ideas and opportunities to enable Mirantis to expand and improve its offerings.
- Act as a floating SA and fill in for existing team members if there is a resource conflict, or vacation coverage.
- Proven ability to innovate, adapt, and execute in a dynamic environment.
Areas of Focus
- Sales Management - Develop sales plans with your sales counterpart to make sure to over achieve of sales quotas is a priority.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations and share feedback to improve service.
- Team Work - Able to build morale, group commitments to goals/objectives and recognizes accomplishments of your team, lead by example.
- Leadership - Inspires and motivates others to perform well and inspire respect and trust.
- Managing People - Include staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement.
- Provides regular performance feedback.
- Develop your team's skills and encourages growth.
- Set and achieve challenging goals.
- Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions.
- Displays orientation to profitability.
- Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition.
- Ethics - Treat people with respect.
- Inspires the trust of others.
- Work with integrity and ethically.
- 5-10 years experience in a customer-facing technical role
- 3-5 years in a customer facing technical management position
- Hands-on proficiency with Linux (CLI)
- Practical understanding of IP networking (L2-L4), including route, switch, load-balancing and firewalls
- Proficiency with at least one scripting/programming language or tool (bash, python, ansible etc)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and demonstrations
- Ability to be productive in a globally-distributed team
- Ability to travel up to 50%
- Practical understanding of distributed systems
- Hands-on experience with:
- Open source software
- Cloud Infrastructure - OpenStack, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure or Amazon Web Services
- Microservices and/or container frameworks - Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos and adjacent technologies
- Software-defined-networking, virtualization, automated bare-metal provisioning, software-defined-storage, relational and noSQL database, identity and security engineering, architecture or design
- Automation, DevOps and CICD tooling - spinnaker, ansible, puppet, salt, terraform, vault, git, jenkins, gerrit, docker, packer, repository management etc
- NFVi, VIM, NFV orchestration (MANO) or specific VNFs
- OSS systems for infrastructure monitoring, logging and alerting
Characteristics for Success
- Team Leader
- Ability to manage and lead a distributed team of technical pre-sales employees.
- Contextual Communicator
- Adapts to audience personas to communicate complex concepts, whether succinct or storied
- Analytical Problem Solver
- Able to creatively solve a problem with incomplete data (infer context)
- Breaks complex problems into smaller ones without losing context
- Critically thinks about what, how and why
- Individual Leader
- Does not rely on the direction of others; proactive and takes ownership
- Confident, credible, agile, responsive, takes risks
- Information Assimilator
- Rapidly acquires and applies knowledge and skill, sometimes under pressure
- Strives to understand related concepts
- Business / Sales Minded
- Understands sales processes & relationships
- Interpersonal risk taker
- Invested in Growth
- Chooses to become exceptional at something
- Learns from and persists in adversity, failure, iteration, and success