Why join Mintel? We are the world's leading market intelligence agency, and technology underpins our success. We help our clients understand consumers and consumer markets, and we aspire to provide the market intelligence behind every great business decision. Our technology allows us to deliver data, insights, and opinions in a compelling way to our clients across the globe.
We are looking for an Engineering Lead to provide technical leadership for our software maintenance and operations team in Shanghai. This team looks after a variety of key Mintel systems and products by addressing bugs, regular operational work, and proactive codebase improvements.
- Take responsibility for the technical decision-making of the team and the overall quality of work produced by the team.
- Maintain an understanding of the technical health of systems the team is responsible for and advocate for improvements to be made.
- Collaborate with project leads to make sure technical complexities of upcoming work are accounted for in plans.
- Lead technical design and refinement sessions with the team. This includes, but is not limited to: being prepared on topics in advance; verifying assumptions; suggesting different approaches; being vocal; consolidating consensus; being open-minded; making sure the team is decisive.
- Take responsibility for the effectiveness of the team’s quality procedures (e.g. code reviews, test suites).
- Contribute to the team’s more complex technical work in a self-sufficient manner.
- Identify upcoming work that requires input from other technical experts and leads. Ensure that the appropriate discussions happen prior to starting that work.
- Collaborate with project leads and managers to assess the overall skillset and health of the team.
The following qualifications and technical skills will position you well for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology/Computer Science or equivalent
- 5+ years experience as a software engineering professional
- Good English writing and speaking skills
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- An appetite to dive into numerous existing systems and diagnose areas for improvement
- Extensive experience with server-side languages, such as Python or Go
- Experience with Python framework, such as Django
- Strong knowledge of database design and usage, such as MySQL
- Experience with source control in a team environment, such as Git or SVN
- Experience with Docker & Kubernetes
- Experience with Agile development methodology, such as Scrum
- Knowledge of unit testing
The following skills and experience are also relevant to our overall environment, and nice to have:
- Familiarity with API protocol, such as RESTful API, GraphQL
- Familiarity with High Availability concepts, such as load-balanced vs primary-backup architectures, MySQL replication, front-end proxies, CDN
- Familiarity with monitoring and reporting tools, such as Prometheus, Grafana, OpsGenie, Sentry
We hope you’ll like our…
- Culture that supports true collaboration whilst embracing remote working
- Approach to personal development where we encourage individuals to grow and share what they’ve learned
- Frequent social events, both within the department and across the company
- Future working model will be a blend of home and office working