Mintel is the world’s leading market intelligence agency and technology underpins our success. We help our clients understand consumers and consumer markets, and aspire to provide the market intelligence behind every great business decision. Our technology supports research, analysis and operations work of Mintel staff and helps us deliver data, insight and opinion in a compelling way to our clients across the globe.
We are currently looking for a Linux System Administrator to join our global infrastructure team, taking an active role in the UK System Administration team, while collaborating with their global infrastructure peers.
The global infrastructure team manages servers and networks for over 1,100 employees across more than 14 countries, and over 1,500 virtual machines to deliver services to our clients. The environment is primarily Linux, with a small amount of Windows.
What you’ll be doing:
- Deploy, maintain, upgrade and retire systems and applications in accordance with established guidelines.
- Troubleshooting of application and system problems.
- Perform configuration changes using our central configuration management system in accordance with Mintel’s best practices and guidelines, and document changes as required.
- Continually monitor network and server status, by checking alerts from monitoring systems to ensure all alerts are dealt with, and to ensure all new systems are being monitored.
- Attend regular team meetings to discuss and prioritise work.
- Collaborating with our development teams, to assist us in meeting their requirements.
- Availability to travel as necessary to Mintel locations in USA and Asia.
What we’d love you to have:
- 3+ years of relevant professional experience as a Linux System Administrator
- Applied knowledge of Unix/Linux operating systems, Linux LPI Level 2 accreditation, RHCE certification or similar level of experience/knowledge - particularly CentOS.
- Familiar with commonly used services and protocols, such as LDAP, Apache, MySQL, Samba, BIND, Squid, etc.
- Knowledge of clustered storage platforms such as Ceph and Elasticsearch.
- Knowledge of virtualisation technologies (we use KVM).
- Knowledge of configuration management systems (we use CFEngine).
- Basic understanding of networking, including VLANs, subnetting and TCP/IP.
- Strong problem-solving skills with a capacity for strategic thinking.
- Programming skills in Python, Golang and/or Bash.
- Good written and verbal communication skills; fluent in English, and great people skills.
Familiarity with any of the following technologies would be advantageous:
- Security management tools, such as RedHat Spacewalk.
- Nagios and Munin.
- Routing protocols (OSPF, BGP) and/or CCNA certification.
- Google Apps for Business (GSuite).
- Familiarity with Windows Server 2012 AD and enterprise user management.
Why work at Mintel?
- We are fun; We most certainly work hard, but we play hard too, ensuring your work/life balance stays well balanced.
- We are a sociable bunch at Mintel; Our flexible working environment means you get to meet more people quicker than you would in an average office.
- We have stunning offices; escape from the cubicle life and join us in our innovative offices that promote collaboration and give you multiple workspace options.
- We value career growth; Mintel believes that training is one of the most impactful ways to keep our employees engaged in their current role and prepared for future opportunities.
- Our culture nurtures amazing talent and encourages creativity and autonomy; We aim to identify and retain the very best and brightest minds to help build and support our dynamic business.
What benefits do we give you?
- Performance/salary review within your first 6 months.
- Holidays - 25 days paid holiday per annum.
- Dental - Group discounted dental insurance plan.
- Free fruit.
- Bike and travel loan - Interest-free bike and season ticket loan.
- Gym - Discounted membership at Fitness First.
- Stakeholder pension.
- Social events - plenty of structured get-togethers so we can enjoy each others company outside of office hours.
- Casual dress every day.
- Flexible working.