Mind Foundry is an artificial intelligence company operating at the intersection of research, innovation, and usability to empower teams with AI that is built for humans. Born at the University of Oxford and founded by world-leading academics Professors Stephen Roberts and Mike Osborne, Mind Foundry develops AI solutions that help organisations in the public and private sectors tackle high-stakes problems, focusing on human outcomes and the long-term impact of AI interventions.
Today, our customers engage with us for everything from detecting fraud costing businesses millions of dollars, to reducing carbon emissions and distributing food fairly; training and empowering teams to make the ethical decisions they care about and help to transform society for the better.
A TEAM OF VISIONARIES
We bring together the world’s best scientists, engineers, design-thinkers and more to tackle the most challenging problems across numerous industries. We’re an international team from all walks of life, unified in our desire to be innovators, change-makers and helpful stewards of AI as it begins to shape our world for years to come.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a Research Scientist with industry experience to join our Applied Machine Learning team. You’ll work alongside other scientists and engineers to engage directly with clients, either creating solutions for problems outside of our product sphere, or helping to apply the existing products into their business. You’ll also be part of the development of new and existing features for our main products which have a direct impact on our users.
WHAT YOU'LL BE DOING
Using your experience you will create ML solutions across our core verticals, including commercial and governmental initiatives in a variety of fields. You'll need to:
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the team (Research Scientists, Research Software Engineers and Software Engineers) to deliver professional-level software prototypes
- Be responsible for ensuring scientific rigour and best practice is maintained throughout the product feature delivery process, from research project to final implementation
- Depending on your experience you may be asked to supervise other team members and interns in their work on research projects where necessary
- Maintain and develop a good working knowledge of state-of-the-art Machine Learning research
- Attend appropriate scientific conferences and events in areas related to our products and services
- Mentoring colleagues in performing research, or learning about Machine Learning or Data Science
WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- A Degree in computer science, applied mathematics, statistics or related field, or an equivalent level of experience in these subjects.
- 2+yrs industry experience (or equivalent experience)
- Can work with state-of-the-art ML libraries to deliver powerful results quickly (Tensorflow/Pytorch)
- Fluent in a high-level programming language (Python/Java), ideally in a scientific or commercial context.
- Have experience designing and implementing software systems that allow users to make best use of ML models in a clear and intuitive way
- Be a champion of scientific integrity practices in terms of experimental rigour and validation
- Eager to learn and have a collaborative approach
- Comfortable speaking to customers (with support) and understanding what they need, or happy to learn quickly
GREAT IF YOU ALSO HAVE
- Experience handling large datasets, suitable software techniques and hardware requirements
- Knowledge of software development lifecycle and Agile methodologies
- Ability to communicate complex ideas at varying levels of depth according to audience
We’ve been working successfully as a fully remote team during the pandemic and are open to this role being remote (within a +/- 2hrs GMT), part-remote or office based, as well as offering flexible working options. It is likely that many of our staff will choose to remain as remote workers going forward and so we are able to offer a fully inclusive and integrated team to anyone opting for a remote role.
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
You'd be joining a talented and fun team of scientists, engineers, storytellers and problem-solvers who are dedicated to innovation, ethical AI, the pursuit of knowledge and making the world a better place. We believe in investing in our people by encouraging career and personal development. We strive to ensure all staff have the tools, time & support they need to shape their own professional development. We want to help you to be the best at what you do and to allow you to grow with the company.
You’ll enjoy a competitive compensation package, an awesome work environment in Summertown (Oxford, UK), if that’s where you choose to work from. We also offer great benefits* such as:
- Flexible working
- Professional and personal development
- Private healthcare (including dental and optical cover)
- Stakeholder Pension
- 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays)
- An opportunity for equity in the company
- Physical and mental health well-being initiatives e.g. discounts on gym memberships and sportswear & equipment, free fitness & nutrition programmes and professional mental health support sessions
- Life cover
- Cycle to work scheme
- Plus many more e.g. social events, games night, pub lunches, office treats etc - even in our current Covid world!
*Benefits may differ for employees based outside of the UK.
For more information about us, please go to www.mindfoundry.ai